Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2013/06/27 06:40:14 UTC

[VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

In March this year we had a discussion about removing finally switching
from autotools to cmake in the C++ build.

The consensus as I understand it was to change the documentation to
prefer cmake in 0.22, including printing a deprecation notice if you use
autotools (which was done).

Then for 0.24 make failure to build with cmake a blocking issue - we are
at this point now. So people show be doing as much of their testing as
possible with cmake based builds.

Then actually remove the autotools build for 0.26. I'd plan to do this
pretty soon after we branch 0.24 for beta on the opened 0.25 trunk. This
way we will have a good few months to fix any problem before the 0.26
release.

So I call for a vote:

[ ] * When 0.25 opens after the 0.24 beta branch remove the C++
      qpid autotools build infrastructure in favour of the cmake tools.
    * A heads up message to the user mailing list.
    * Add a release note to 0.24 to say it is the last release that will
      contain an autotools build.
    * Add a release note to 0.26 to say that only cmake is available
      from this release forward
[ ] We're not ready for this yet, here's why:

Thanks

Andrew

[1]
http://apache-qpid-developers.2158895.n2.nabble.com/Proposal-get-rid-of-automake-build-system-tt7585130.html

Re: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.
[X] * When 0.25 opens after the 0.24 beta branch remove the C++

Cliff

Re: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
[X] * When 0.25 opens after the 0.24 beta branch remove the C++ autotools ...

Re: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40:14AM -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> [X] * When 0.25 opens after the 0.24 beta branch remove the C++
>       qpid autotools build infrastructure in favour of the cmake tools.
>     * A heads up message to the user mailing list.
>     * Add a release note to 0.24 to say it is the last release that will
>       contain an autotools build.
>     * Add a release note to 0.26 to say that only cmake is available
>       from this release forward
> [ ] We're not ready for this yet, here's why:

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Re: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Vote results: Was: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
The results of this vote are:

11 votes for, none against.

I think this is pretty conclusively approved.

I will create a JIRA for a 0.24 release note.

Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

--
-K

Re: [VOTE] Remove autotools build for C++ build

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.