Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Alexandru Boboc <bo...@pdigi1.igi.pd.cnr.it> on 2000/07/05 13:19:40 UTC

How to configure Apache to make work CGI ???

Re: How to configure Apache to make work CGI ???

Posted by Jon Wyatt <sa...@samur1.demon.co.uk>.
Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@onlinemac.com>.
--On 07/05/00 13:19:40 +0200 Alexandru Boboc <bo...@pdigi1.igi.pd.cnr.it>
wrote:

>> Ciao from Italy,
>>
>> I am e new user of Apache(2 weeks). I have installed RedHat 6.2 with
>> Apache web server...
>>
>> I am using Perl and I can not able to use CGI under NETSCAPE( i tried
>> to configure the Apache Web Server and the Net domains(hostname and
>> virtual hosts) with Linuxconf )).
>> Can somenane tell me how to configurate Apache to make works CGI's ?

If you installed Apache from an rpm file, you never know what you're going
to get.  For something like Apache, you should go direct to www.apache.org,
get a source tarball of version 1.3.12 (current release), and build it.
The command "./configure ; make" in the package root will give you a
reasonable server that will install in /usr/local.  The default httpd.conf
file will already have the handlers set for CGI.  The default, I believe,
is CGI's only in cgi-bin, but you can also comment that out so CGI's can
run anywhere if you're the only user and there aren't any other security
issues involved.

If you go through the INSTALL and README documentation, you will find
examples of how to customize the Apache build to your liking using config
options such as "--enable-module=most" to add the optional modules like
mod_proxy, and "--enable-shared=max" to build Apache with dynamic libraries.

I personally tend towards building the apache core statically including
those 3rd party (not in the Apache tarball) modules that are part of my
core build, but also add mod_so so that I can further add modules
dynamically if the need arises.  Thus for me, the following would be a
typical configure:

./configure \
  --with-layout=Apache  \
  --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
  --activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a \
  --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl \
  --enable-rule=EAPI \
  --enable-module=most \
  --enable-module=ssl \
  --enable-module=so

Hope that helps.

-- Rob

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@onlinemac.com