Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Luciano Santos <lu...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/01 22:10:40 UTC

org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: EI

Hi,

       I'm using pdfbox 1.8.0 and my application is returning this error
"org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator
INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: EI".
       Somebody can help me?
       Thanks

Re: org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: EI

Posted by Wullie <wi...@lavabit.com>.
Hi,

These INFO messages are causing me issues. I'm calling PDFBox to Extract text from a PDF file, within a PHP script. The extracted text is output to the 'console' which I then read in PHP as the 'stdout' from the program. Errors I read from a similarly piped 'stderr'.

Now unfortunately getting the return code from executing external programs in PHP is very flaky and so I cannot use an exit code of 0 from PDFBox to determine success or failure.  The only way I can check whether everything was ok is to check the contents of stderr.

However because of all these INFO messages, stderr may not be null even though everything is ok (I understand it is safe to ignore these particular INFO messages). I am forced to having to parse the stderr and use a regex to delete these info messages and see if there is then anything left which might mean error. This is not very good practice :(

So, is there a way I can stop these INFO messages being produced in stderr? I have tried searching and found some stuff on log4j which I tried to make sense of, but I've no idea if I'm on the right track, or even how to use it!

Please note I am using the pre-compiled jar (pdfbox-app-1.8.0.jar), and I know nothing about Java and have no way of compiling or making source code changes to Java!

I'm sure the answer should be simple (with a log4j.xml file?) but I've no idea what to put in one, or how to get the jar to read it.

Thanks for any help

Re: org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: EI

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
this information means that a PDF operator was found which is currently not supported in pdfbox or disabled. The operator in question is to end an inline image.

This may or may not be an issue for you dependent on your application. Is the result you are getting ok? If yes you can ignore the message.

If no please describe what you are trying to achieve with pdfbox (printing, text extraction, image conversion ….) together with a code snippet, sample input and sample output and a description what might be missing or is incorrect from your perspective.

With kind regards

Maruan Sahyoun