Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2008/06/10 06:01:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Server Respository plugin for Geronimo 2.1+ - RC2

Start of thread to discuss any concerns/issues/questions with the vote
for the Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1+

Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Server Respository plugin for Geronimo 2.1+ - RC2

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe, thanks for your reply!  This makes perfect sense as the plugin
is intended to support multiple G versions!  Sorry I don't mean to
delay this call - I just want to look at the source code and make sure
I am looking at the right stuff!   Enjoy your vacation!

Lin

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Lin Sun wrote:
> Sorry for not being clear here - I think I am looking for the
> corresponding source code that supports this plugin (which seems to be
> org.apache.geronimo.system.repository.Maven2Repository +
> org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.RepositoryConfigurationStore).
>   Should I look at the trunk version of the code or is there a
> specific svn pointer for this vote?

Lin,

The repository and configuration code isn't up for vote.  Those are
included and used in the server itself.  This vote is just to deliver a
secondary repository configuration (plugin) which leverages the same
modules already used in the server.  The exact source for these modules
can be found with the source for the server.  For example, in Geronimo
2.1.1 you can find the source here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.1/framework/modules/geronimo-system/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/repository/Maven2Repository.java
and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.1/framework/modules/geronimo-system/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/configuration/RepositoryConfigurationStore.java

Also .... I'm sorry for being a bit unresponsive. I'm on vacation and
have very limited network access (and that just for today).  I was
actually signing on now to call the vote.  Is there some reason that we
should delay this call?  I'll check back later on to see if there are
any other responses.

Joe

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Hernan Cunico wrote:
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>> Lin Sun wrote:
>>> Hi Joe, any plan to update the multi-repo documentation to instruct
>>> users to install the sample plugin instead of deploy the
>>> server-repo.xml file manually?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Lin
>>>

>> Yes, I was planning to update the doc to include the installing the
>> plugin once it was released.  However, I was thinking of keeping the
>> manual process as well .... still hadn't decided on that yet.
>>
>> Joe
>>
> I would suggest we keep the manual process and then document the server
> repo plugin as part of the sample apps (which are all plugins(*)). Then
> we can reference to that section from the existing doc

No objection to keeping the manual process per say ... but this is not a
sample.  Rather, it is a per server repository which can be used without
any modification by the end user.  I think the description should remain
independent of the samples.

> (*) should we call the sample apps section sample plugins to give it a
> more representative title?

I think it would be a mistake to change the title from apps to plugins.
  They are still applications as well as plugins and a user looking for
a sample will intuitively look for a sample application as the term
plugin might not have any meaning to them.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> Start of thread to discuss any concerns/issues/questions with the
>>> vote for the Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1+
>>> Joe
>>
>> Jarek posted an concern in his vote on this plugin:
>> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>> > +1
>> >
>> > One minor comment: when installing the plugin using the admin console
>> > it shows the license as:
>> >
>> > License:      The Apache Software License, Version 2.0 (Proprietary)
>> >
>> > and should be :
>> >
>> > License:      The Apache Software License, Version 2.0 (Open Source)
>>
>> As you can see, he still voted +1.  However, this concerns me.  I
>> guess there must be something that I need to set for the plugin in the
>> pom.xml to indicate that this is apache licensed.  The generated
>> geronimo-plugin.xml includes  <license osi-approved="false">The Apache
>> Software License, Version 2.0</license> rather than indicating true
>> for osi-approved.
>>
>> So ... what to do with the vote?  I really don't like the erroneous
>> license message.  I'm leaning toward cancelling the vote again to get
>> this fixed.  What are your opinions?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see this fixed.  How/where are we picking up the
> osi-approved value?
>
> --kevan

It looks like I just needed to include <osiApproved>true</osiApproved>
in the plugin configuration section of the pom for this plugin.  I
omitted it so it must default to false.

As Lin pointed out, I can update this in the plugin catalog (and I just
did in my staging repo) ... which results in the correct license info
being displayed when installing the plugin from the console.  However,
we usually depend upon these catalog being generated with only minor
edits.  I guess we could consider this another minor edit but it would
be nice to have it generate correctly.

If you attempt to install from my staging repo now (with the edit) it
will indicate it is open source licensed.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>>
>> Start of thread to discuss any concerns/issues/questions with the vote for
>> the Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1+
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Jarek posted an concern in his vote on this plugin:
> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> One minor comment: when installing the plugin using the admin console
>> it shows the license as:
>>
>> License:      The Apache Software License, Version 2.0 (Proprietary)
>>
>> and should be :
>>
>> License:      The Apache Software License, Version 2.0 (Open Source)
>
> As you can see, he still voted +1.  However, this concerns me.  I guess
> there must be something that I need to set for the plugin in the pom.xml to
> indicate that this is apache licensed.  The generated geronimo-plugin.xml
> includes  <license osi-approved="false">The Apache Software License, Version
> 2.0</license> rather than indicating true for osi-approved.
>
> So ... what to do with the vote?  I really don't like the erroneous license
> message.  I'm leaning toward cancelling the vote again to get this fixed.
>  What are your opinions?

I voted +1 becuase the LICENSE file in the car file makes it clear
what the plugin license is. Also, the users will see this erroneous
license message if they install the plugin via the console and I think
most users will install it using the command line tools.

Jarek

Re: [DISCUSS] Server Respository plugin for Geronimo 2.1+ - RC2

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
I have to say that it is not very obvious - at least I didn't notice
it when I installed it from console the first time.   Also, I think as
long as you have the right value osi-approved="true" in the
geronimo-plugins.xml at the official site, it should be ok.    Looks
to me that the page is reading the site's geronimo-plugins.xml file
for the plugin's detail information instead of the sample's
geronimo-plugin.xml file.

Lin

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.