Posted to users@flex.apache.org by najeeb <na...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/18 17:55:19 UTC

Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

I have to build a mission-critical cross-platform app on both iOS and Android
for a client. The choice of platform is mine to make. I would prefer to go
with a Rich Internet Application (RIA) toolkit.

I have always been more of a server-side guy, and I have rarely if ever done
any client-side programming in HTML/JS, et al, and I find a proliferation of
choices for web-based technologies like Ionic among others. I have never
been too comfortable with web-based toolkits, however. On the other hand, I
find the Adobe Flex platform quite interesting and more suited to my taste.

As an aside, I find Ionic to be quite future-proof (the foreseeable future,
at least), though I would like to reiterate that I am neither comfortable
with JS-based toolkits, nor do I have much time on my hands to learn the
entire stack of Angular + Ionic. Learning Adobe Flex has been fun, and I
have picked up quite a bit of it, including ActionScript in the past couple
of days.

I know that Adobe Flash is (almost) dead. I want to know if Adobe Flex/Air
is actually a good platform of choice for my purpose in 2018. And if it
isn't, can you please recommend some other RIA framework?

PS: I am not asking this question from a job perspective, i.e., dwindling
number of jobs, etc. That doesn't matter to me. Rather, I would like to know
from the community's perspective, as well as support of the technology on
all major deployment platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, etc.

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by najeeb <na...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Carlos. Will do (y)

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Najeeb

Piotr mentioned it already but I want to let you know that Apache Royale is
in heavy development now and it makes you have the same fast development
with AS3 and MXML that you'll have in Flex, but targeting HTML/JS/CSS in
the browsers (as well SWF, but I's not as well developed that what we have
in html now)

I recommend you to check this so you can decide better:

https://royale.apache.org/category/royale-examples/

As you can see in the examples, the code is almost the same as Flex, but
the example is running in almost any plataform browser.
You can use Cordova or AIR to go mobile.

About native, some day Royale could compile directly to native iOS, native
Android...as we do now with SWF and HTML different outputs.
In the other hand, Royale HTML output seems to be very optimized, and with
the latest mobile devices, I think HTML is a good option in terms of
performance and you'll be targeting lots of devices with only one
development.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Carlos

> Thank you for the informative replies. Quite a relief to know that Flex is
> doing well. A couple of other forums where I posted a similar query had
> exactly zero replies.
>
> I loved Apache Flex the first time I saw an app developed on it way back in
> 2012, and I find it to be an awesome toolkit, and it would be a shame to
> see
> it getting ignored by developers in favor of JS-based toolkits. Not that
> JavaScript is a bad language, but there seems to be an unusual and lopsided
> skew in its favor in the job market. I am guessing this has more to do with
> the artificial hype created around JavaScript, with (non-technical) HR
> managers then insisting on it. And which may have resulted in a dwindling
> number of jobs for other platforms. That said, there is room for all types
> of toolkits, JS or non-JS, and power to all.
>
> Thanks again, folks!

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by pol2095 <po...@free.fr>.
With Air, Starling/Feathers is a better choice for Mobile, HTML/JS is not a
good choice for app, I use it only for the web.

For app, native, Unity or Air are the better choice I think.

Air is not browser dépendent, is not the same problem that Flash Player.

For game (not for Flex), I use OpenFl/Haxe to port my ActionScript code.

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I agree with Leo. I'm not sure if there is any thechnology which allows you
so fast build Applications in a cross platform way than Apache Flex/Adobe
Air. I believe even if some day something will happen and your application
will need to go and port to other technology you may be able use Apache
Royale. [1]
We are working on this successor of Apache Flex couple of years already -
since almost all are volunteer everything is going slow.

In the other words in theory you may be able to use later written
ActionScript to port all of that to Apache Royale, package it through
Apache Cordova [2] it will still work on Mobile. :)

[1] http://royale.apache.org/
[2] https://cordova.apache.org/

Thanks,
Piotr

pon., 18 cze 2018 o 20:50 leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr> napisał(a):

> Well as a company, we still use Flex for Android and iOS apps (android tv
> and
> tvOS included) and we have at least 1 for windows 10 and macOS. If you are
> comfortable with flex you can build almost anything in a few hours.
>
> I had issues when it comes to more advanced apps for Android but in most
> cases you can overcome them.
>
> If you want to be 100% future proof I would suggest Flutter or React Native
> for cross-platform or go native! You can't never go wrong with native!.
>
> That being said  the community is awesome and I don't thing that there is
> another cross-platform technology that compiles iOS apps in windows!

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Leokan
thanks for sharing. great examples! :)

> Some "reassurance" about the mobile apps. Here are some of my company's
> apps
> built 100% with flex:
>
> Pokevolution (1m+ downloads) [1]
>
> Tourismart (officially sold by t-mobile Greece - Cosmote ) [2]
>
> TEDxAthens (official TED event) [3]
>

> [1]  Pokevolution
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tech.
> simpleapps.pokecalculator>
> [2]  tourismart for hotels <https://tourismart.co/>
> [3]  TEDxAthens
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tech.
> simpleapps.tedxathens2016>

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
Although performance is not on the spot as the apps get bigger, (Pokevolution
uses 22 ANEs!!!!!) you can do almost anything.

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by najeeb <na...@gmail.com>.
Installed the app. Gives a pretty good idea of what can be done with the
framework. Thanks for this (y)

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tech.simpleapps.tedxathens2016>

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by najeeb <na...@gmail.com>.
Oh. Thank you for the correction (y)

Re: Future of Adobe Flex as a RIA in 2018

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Just a comment from your subject. Flex has been Apache Flex and not Adobe Flex for several years now.