Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Schultz, Gary - COMM" <GS...@commerce.state.wi.us> on 2004/10/29 07:51:24 UTC

Desperately seeking assistance and/or information on memory setti ngs

I'm desperately seeking a real working solution to memory management in
Java-Tomcat-Cocoon in Windows. I continue to run into low memory errors. I
researched the Cocoon wiki, Java web sites and Tomcat web sites, but none of
the solutions appears to work. I can't get Cocoon to use more than the
default 64 MB of memory allotted by the JVM. I had initially gotten Cocoon
to free up 50% of the available memory, so I had 64 Meg in use, with around
30 Meg free. This initially help me with an XSP issue, but now when I check
Cocoon status I see that memory is getting low again, sometimes the status
page will show just over 1 meg of free memory. My XSP no longer works.

Our configuration:

2.4 GHz Xeon Processor Compaq server
2.5 Gigabytes RAM
Windows 2000 (5.00.2195 Service Pack 4)
J2SDK 1.4.2_03
Apache 2.0.49
Tomcat 5.0.18
Cocoon 2.1.5.1

I trying to sell Cocoon as a tool to help with a project at work. If I can't
get consistent results with the XSP, management will not go with Cocoon and
will turn to another solution. This will be a major set back for greater use
of Cocoon in our agency. I'm also trying to sell other agencies in Wisconsin
on the benefits of Cocoon, but this recent set back will only make my
efforts more difficult.

Any assistance I can get is greatly appreciated. I would like to see Cocoon
used for tasks other than a simple web publishing system. But the way it
looks right now, that will be a hard sell in my agency and to other State of
Wisconsin government agencies.

Gary T. Schultz
Web Technical Administrator / GIS Coordinator
Wisconsin Department of Commerce
6th Floor
P.O. Box 7970
Madison, WI
1-608-266-1283

Re: Desperately seeking assistance and/or information on memory setti ngs

Posted by Neo99 <ne...@ukonline.co.uk>.
Hello

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 29 oct. 04, à 07:51, Schultz, Gary - COMM a écrit :
>
>> ...I can't get Cocoon to use more than the
>> default 64 MB of memory allotted by the JVM..
>

> The only way to increase this is to start the JVM with the correct
> -Xmx parameter.
>
> You have to find out which of your startup scripts starts the JVM, and
> how to pass JVM options to it.

If you are using Tomcat, the environment variable CATALINA_OPTS can be
set with the required Java options. (in my case "-Xms128m -Xmx128m").

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.