Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Justin Smith <JS...@clearsense.com> on 2016/12/07 20:36:18 UTC

Kafka Queue

I read this paragraph under Kafka as a Messaging System.

"The consumer group concept in Kafka generalizes these two concepts. As with a queue the consumer group allows you to divide up processing over a collection of processes (the members of the consumer group). As with publish-subscribe, Kafka allows you to broadcast messages to multiple consumer groups."

But I cannot find where you are able to divide up processing over a collection of processors. I have 2 consumers and no matter what I do they always both get the same message. Is there a java reference you can point me to where I can understand how to accomplish this?

Thanks a lot,
Justin Smith
Software Developer
[Clearsense]<http://www.clearsense.com/>
c: 904.497.3035     1300 Marsh Landing Pkwy., Ste. 105,  Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
clearsense.com<http://www.clearsense.com/>   |   JSmith@clearsense.com<ma...@clearsense.com>   |   Follow on Twitter<https://twitter.com/ClearsenseCan>   |   Connect on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/>

Re: Kafka Queue

Posted by Sharninder <sh...@gmail.com>.
Have you a set them to the same consumer group ID? That's what "identities"
a consumer group.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:06 AM, Justin Smith <JS...@clearsense.com> wrote:

> I read this paragraph under Kafka as a Messaging System.
>

> “The consumer group concept in Kafka generalizes these two concepts. As
> with a queue the consumer group allows you to divide up processing over a
> collection of processes (the members of the consumer group). As with
> publish-subscribe, Kafka allows you to broadcast messages to multiple
> consumer groups.”
>

> But I cannot find where you are able to divide up processing over a
> collection of processors. I have 2 consumers and no matter what I do they
> always both get the same message. Is there a java reference you can point
> me to where I can understand how to accomplish this?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> *Justin Smith*
> *Software Developer*
>
> [image: Clearsense] <http://www.clearsense.com/>
>
> c: 904.497.3035 <(904)%20497-3035>     1300 Marsh Landing Pkwy., Ste.
> 105,  Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
> clearsense.com <http://www.clearsense.com/>   |   *JSmith@clearsense.com
> <JS...@clearsense.com>*   |   Follow on Twitter
> <https://twitter.com/ClearsenseCan>   |   Connect on LinkedIn
> <https://www.linkedin.com/>

Sharninder

Re: Kafka Queue

Posted by Hans Jespersen <ha...@confluent.io>.
are you setting the group.id property to be the same on both consumers?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Consumer+Group+Example

-hans

/**
 * Hans Jespersen, Principal Systems Engineer, Confluent Inc.
 * hans@confluent.io (650)924-2670
 */