Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Achim Abeling <ac...@freenet-ag.de> on 2007/05/11 09:10:54 UTC

Axis2: REST response without xlinks

Hi,

I am trying out Axis2 with a REST service.
It works well out of the box but the response does not have xlinks to
included entities.

E.g. I have a bean A which has a reference to bean B as a property.
In my response I see the xml representation of bean A with a
representation of bean B as a child.

How can I make Axis2 generate responses where the reference to bean B is
realized as an xlink like in
<?xml version="1.0"?>
       <Part id="00345"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00345"/>
       <Part id="00346"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00346"/>
       <Part id="00347"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00347"/>
       <Part id="00348"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00348"/>

And if it is possible to generate such responses does the configuration
affect my SOAP service which is running beside my REST service?

Best regards
Achim

Re: Axis2: REST response without xlinks

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Achim

Its better to think of the Axis2 support as POX (Plain Old XML) than
REST. The services inside Axis2 don't currently have any concept of
"entities" or resources, so the only way to do this would be to write
your own service from XML up. You would need to use either the -d none
databinding option or the RawXMLMessageReceiver to handle your own XML
code.

Yes it would change the SOAP version too.

There is quite a lot of thought going on in Axis2 about how to handle
REST and map resources into Axis2 more widely. Can I suggest - since
you obviously have some interesting ideas in this space - that you
join axis-dev and kick off a thread there?

There's also a thread over at wso2.org about defining a model for
mapping SQL data stores into services which you might be interested in
too.

Paul

On 5/11/07, Achim Abeling <ac...@freenet-ag.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying out Axis2 with a REST service.
> It works well out of the box but the response does not have xlinks to
> included entities.
>
> E.g. I have a bean A which has a reference to bean B as a property.
> In my response I see the xml representation of bean A with a
> representation of bean B as a child.
>
> How can I make Axis2 generate responses where the reference to bean B is
> realized as an xlink like in
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>           xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>        <Part id="00345"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00345"/>
>        <Part id="00346"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00346"/>
>        <Part id="00347"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00347"/>
>        <Part id="00348"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00348"/>
>
> And if it is possible to generate such responses does the configuration
> affect my SOAP service which is running beside my REST service?
>
> Best regards
> Achim

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle