Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Southwell <da...@vizion2000.net> on 2009/10/16 17:53:21 UTC

[users@httpd] win x64

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get apache 2.2.13 or 2.2.14 to running
as a win XP x64 bit program with ssl or am I limited to 32 bit? I  know a 32
bit version is available and will run but I would like to take advantage of a
64bit system with a quad processor.

Will I need to compile it? Can it be done using gcc or should I try to install
it under cygwin?

Any contributions welcome

David

Re: [users@httpd] win x64

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
David Southwell wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get apache 2.2.13 or 2.2.14 to running
> as a win XP x64 bit program with ssl or am I limited to 32 bit? I  know a 32
> bit version is available and will run but I would like to take advantage of a
> 64bit system with a quad processor.

Yes you can, it's non trivial but entirely doable, there are various blog posts
about how users have done so (using visual c toolchains).

We have not due to the opacity of x64 msvcrt.dll and MS's claims that it will no
longer follow K&R, C99 etc for user-space apps.

Apache will consuming noticeably more memory and cpu when built for x64.  You might
want to investigate shrinking your stack size, if your primary goal is just to run
more workers.  You'll find .14 does a much better job supporting ThreadStackSize
and MaxMemFree.

I'll come up with something out of the box for -win32-src.zip and binaries of the
Apache 2.4.x (and perhaps some beta 2.3.x).  These won't be using msvcrt anymore.

> Will I need to compile it? Can it be done using gcc or should I try to install
> it under cygwin?

That's about the worst thing you can do; most unix libs presume 64ILP or 64LP and
the entire 64P model of win64 will really hurts compatibility; people are making
progress but it's a slog.

Remember that Windows x64 is not using the same processor semantics as Linux or
Solaris or Darwin on x64, it is entirely its own beast.