Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/03 10:55:42 UTC

[VOTE] BookKeeper 4.3.0 Release Candidate 0

This is the first release candidate for Apache BookKeeper, version 4.3.0.

It fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12323267&styleName=Html&projectId=12311293

*** Please download, test and vote by Oct 7th 2014, 00:00 GMT.

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided
for convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~sijie/bookkeeper-4.3.0-candidate-0/

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebookkeeper-1002/

The tag to be voted upon:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/zookeeper/bookkeeper/tags/release-4.3.0/

BookKeeper's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/zookeeper/bookkeeper/dist/KEYS

Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
and run a bookkeeper and hedwig service.

Re: [VOTE] BookKeeper 4.3.0 Release Candidate 0

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Just one clarification about licenses. The release management guidelines say that the license file needs to include the licenses for all the files in the package. My understanding is that we don't need to include any because all our dependencies, specifically the non-apache licensed, aren't included in the package but downloaded as part of the maven build process.

Otherwise, it looks good to me.

-Flavio

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
yup. the only license used in the files included in the package is APACHE
license.

All other licenses are include by dependency and mentioned in NOTICE file.
You could check it.

- Sijie

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
For BOOKKEEPER-589, mark the resolution as done.

-Flavio

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@ivankelly.net>.
Great, thanks for putting this out Sijie. I'll take a look over the
weekend or monday. I wanted to get to it today, but other stuff has
gotten in the way.

-Ivan

--
Sent with my mu4e

Re: [VOTE] BookKeeper 4.3.0 Release Candidate 0

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Ivan Kelly <iv...@ivankelly.net> wrote:

> I've downloaded, built and tested the src release. It looks fine.
>
> The -bin releases contain jna.jar, which isn't mentioned in the NOTICE
> file, so -1 for releasing the binary tarballs. You can still release the
> source, just leave out the binaries. I think this is ok, since 4.3.0
> isn't GA.

Created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BOOKKEEPER-790 to address
NOTICE file issue.

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
Setting:
journalFlushWhenQueueEmpty=true
journalMaxGroupWaitMSec=0

brings things mostly back to normal. The bookie bench did eventually
finish with the default, it just took 20 minutes.

So the only thing outstanding for this release is the JNA license. If
you roll a new release with that (or drop the bin packages), I'll give
my +1 for the release.

-Ivan

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Ivan Kelly <iv...@ivankelly.net> wrote:

> Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> writes:
> > This is a very awesome script to run. I think we could add it to the repo
> > under bin/ directory. Do you mind creating a JIRA to do that? we could
> > include it in 4.3.1 and 4.4.0.
> -1 for splitting development between 4.3.1 and trunk. We should only
> work in trunk for the next few releases, until trunk is superstable
> again.

Removed 4.3.1 from BOOKKEEPER-788. Keep it for 4.4.0.

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@ivankelly.net>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Jiannan Wang <ji...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>  > Your release script is actually attached in that email :)
> > But the link that you provided is yahoo internal link :) you might take
> care of this next time, if it is yahoo confidential :)
>
>  Wow, I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. I need to be more
> careful to avoid being fired :)
>
>  > This is a very awesome script to run. I think we could add it to the
> repo under bin/ directory. Do you mind creating a JIRA to do that? we could
> include it in 4.3.1 and 4.4.0.
>
>  Done, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BOOKKEEPER-788. I'll create
> a patch tomorrow.
>
>  > for the git tag question, I am not sure if we could do that, since the
> bookkeeper repo is actually in svn rather than git.
>
>  Maybe we could manage it manually in GitHub?

I think after BOOKKEEPER goes TLP, we will have a separated repo, which we
might have a real git repo.

Posted by Jiannan Wang <ji...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

From: Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, October 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM
To: "Y.CORP.YAHOO.COM\\jiannan" <ji...@yahoo-inc.com>>
Cc: "bookkeeper-dev@zookeeper.apache.org<ma...@zookeeper.apache.org>" <bo...@zookeeper.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] BookKeeper 4.3.0 Release Candidate 0

Thanks Jiannan!

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jiannan!

Posted by Jiannan Wang <ji...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
It seems attachment is not supported, put the script in gist:
https://git.corp.yahoo.com/gist/jiannan/d6412e5456672b3ccffb

Best,
Jiannan

Posted by Jiannan Wang <ji...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.