Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Keven Ring <ke...@mitre.org> on 2004/09/30 21:24:13 UTC

svn switch help requested

I have a repository with ~230 revisions.  Some of these revision were
purely for testing purposes.  We would like to remove these revisions
via a dump/load cycle, and then switch our working directories to
utilize the newly loaded revisions.

I have managed to incrementally dump our repository, and load a fresh
repository with the various dumps.  Everything seems to be in good
working order.  According to the switch command, I should be able to use
the --relocate option to update our working directories.

The problem that I am running into is 2-fold (possible related!?!)

1) The .svn/entries file still contains references to the "old" repository
2) Performing an "svn up" indicates that my WC is at revision 229 (makes
sense, the old repository has 229 revisions in it)

Here's what I'm doing (after the dump/load cycle), from the parent
directory of the WC:

svn switch --relocate http://hostname/svn_old/repos
http://hostname/svn/repos repos

There are no error messages, however, the file repos/.svn/entries still
contains references to http://hostname/svn_old/repos, and no references
to http://hostname/svn/repos.

Is it possible that because the new repository has ~10 fewer revisions
that the switch command will not simply not work?  Note, a fresh
checkout of the new repository is the exact same as the old repository
(except, of course, for the various files in each of the .svn directories).

Other pertinent information:
SVN 1.0.6-1, from RPM on summersoft.fay.ar.us for Fedora Core 1
BDB backend running on Solaris 9

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -

Re: svn switch help requested

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Keven Ring wrote:
> I have a repository with ~230 revisions.  Some of these revision were
> purely for testing purposes.  We would like to remove these revisions
> via a dump/load cycle, and then switch our working directories to
> utilize the newly loaded revisions.
>
> I have managed to incrementally dump our repository, and load a fresh
> repository with the various dumps.  Everything seems to be in good
> working order.  According to the switch command, I should be able to use
> the --relocate option to update our working directories.

No - that's *not* what relocate does!

Relocate is for referencing the *same* repository via a different URL. If
you have filtered revisions out of the repository, it is no longer the same
repository.

You must throw away your old WCs and checkout new ones.

Max.