Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ramzi Youssefi <ry...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/12 14:50:21 UTC

Development environment

Hi!

I would like to ask how to setup a proper development environment in
Cloudstack. Until now I have been able only to download CS from git
cloudstack and deploy it with maven. Once I run jetty:run, I can see CS in
the browser. I even can do this with eclipse.

The thing is that I want to create a plugin in Cloudstack. There are many
tutorials on how to do that but the thing is that every time I create
something, I need to re-deploy everything again and it takes at least 5
minutes to run the maven commands and see the changes.

Is there any way to develop the plugins or to do changes in the code "on
the fly"? so I can type something and press F5 in my browser and see the
changes immediately? What is the right project that I have to download to
do this?

Thank you for your response!
--
Ramzi Youssefi
Görlitzer Str. 49

RE: Development environment

Posted by Gabor Apati-Nagy <ga...@citrix.com>.
Great, I am glad to hear that. Good luck!

Gabor

Posted by Ramzi Youssefi <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabor Apati-Nagy <ga...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Ramzi Youssefi <ry...@gmail.com>.
Thank you guys!

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ramzi,

Posted by Gabor Apati-Nagy <ga...@citrix.com>.
Hi Ramzi,

Are you developing an UI plugin? That is a different case.
For some references go to: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/UI+Plugin+Tutorial

The good news is that (for UI development) you can avoid rebuilding/deploying with maven. So once your managent server is up and running, just overwrite files in
client/target/generated-webapp/
with your change that you would like to try and then hit F5.

I just use
cp -rf ui/* client/target/generated-webapp/

Cheers,
Gabor

Posted by Ramzi Youssefi <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,