Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Dy...@Sun.COM on 2008/04/01 11:27:00 UTC

Re: 10.4 Release Notes

Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi Dyre,
>
> Where would I go to find the latest version of the 10.4 release notes?
> The version bundled with the 10.4 beta seems to be sketchy. What's
> checked into the 10.4 branch appears to be a preliminary version of
> the 10.3 release notes. In the past, we've done a bad job of giving
> the release manager timely feedback on the release notes. The result
> has been that the release manager has had to re-spin release
> candidates just to correct the notes. I was hoping that we could give
> you timelier feedback this time around.
>
> My recommendation would be for you to check your latest version into
> the 10.4 branch. As people give you feedback this week, you can check
> in improved versions. However, if you are publishing your interim
> version someplace else, that can work too.

I'm on it, but so far the release notes don't appear to be compatible
with our release note machinery:

genrelnotes:
[generateReleaseNotes] [Fatal Error] :86:95: The element type "br" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</br>".
[generateReleaseNotes] The following JIRA issues still need release notes or the release notes provided are unreadable:
[generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-3073      SQL roles: add parser support
[generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-3023      Different result rows depending on the sequence of INNER JOIN and OUTER JOIN
[generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-2925      Prevent export from overwriting existing files
[generateReleaseNotes]  DERBY-2351      ORDER BY with expression with distinct in the select list returns incorrect result
[generateReleaseNotes] The following other errors occurred:
[generateReleaseNotes]
[generateReleaseNotes] Unable to read or parse release note for DERBY-2351: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type "br" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</br>".
[generateReleaseNotes] org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type "br" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</br>".
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:98)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNoteReader.getReleaseNote(ReleaseNoteReader.java:130)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNotesGenerator.getReleaseNote(ReleaseNotesGenerator.java:724)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNotesGenerator.buildIssuesList(ReleaseNotesGenerator.java:650)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNotesGenerator.execute(ReleaseNotesGenerator.java:382)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:275)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:364)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:341)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:369)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1216)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1185)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:40)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1068)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:668)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:187)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:246)
[generateReleaseNotes]  at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:67)

Can those working on the relevant issues please take a look?

dt

Re: 10.4 Release Notes

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Dyre,
>
> I have fixed most of these issues as follows:
>
> DERBY-3073: I unchecked the "Existing Application Impact" and "Release
> Note Needed" because this work has been disabled on the 10.4 branch,.
>
> DERBY-2925: I renamed the release note to be "releaseNote.html", which
> is the file name expected by the release notes generator.
>
> DERBY-2351: I fixed some markup which choked the xml parser.

Thanks Rick :) I didn't mean to dump "boring release manager tasks" in
your lap. I was just hoping to engage those who have written release
notes before I started hacking them myself.

> The remaining issue in your list is DERBY-3023. There may be some
> confusion here. In previous releases, we only expected to see release
> notes for issues which had "Release Note Needed". This issue does not
> have that box marked and the issue doesn't have a release note. However,
> looking at the description of the issue, I could see a case for wanting
> a release note for this one. I will send another mail message re-stating
> the question you posed on this issue two weeks ago.

Ok I thought I saw someone saying that either checkbox warranted a
release note. But I can change filter to only select those with 'release
note needed'.

Dyre

Re: 10.4 Release Notes

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi Dyre,
>
> I have fixed most of these issues as follows:
>
> DERBY-3073: I unchecked the "Existing Application Impact" and "Release
> Note Needed" because this work has been disabled on the 10.4 branch,.
>
> DERBY-2925: I renamed the release note to be "releaseNote.html", which
> is the file name expected by the release notes generator.
>
> DERBY-2351: I fixed some markup which choked the xml parser.
>
> The remaining issue in your list is DERBY-3023. There may be some
> confusion here. In previous releases, we only expected to see release
> notes for issues which had "Release Note Needed". This issue does not
> have that box marked and the issue doesn't have a release
> note. However, looking at the description of the issue, I could see a
> case for wanting a release note for this one. I will send another mail
> message re-stating the question you posed on this issue two weeks ago.

Thanks for the fixes. I can now run the release note generator without
failures. I have attached the resulting RELEASE-NOTES.html.

Re: 10.4 Release Notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> [...]

I have fixed most of these issues as follows:

DERBY-3073: I unchecked the "Existing Application Impact" and "Release
Note Needed" because this work has been disabled on the 10.4 branch,.

DERBY-2925: I renamed the release note to be "releaseNote.html", which
is the file name expected by the release notes generator.

DERBY-2351: I fixed some markup which choked the xml parser.

The remaining issue in your list is DERBY-3023. There may be some
confusion here. In previous releases, we only expected to see release
notes for issues which had "Release Note Needed". This issue does not
have that box marked and the issue doesn't have a release note. However,
looking at the description of the issue, I could see a case for wanting
a release note for this one. I will send another mail message re-stating
the question you posed on this issue two weeks ago.

Regards,
-Rick