Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2010/10/13 13:59:53 UTC

Retiring MUSE (or not)

Hi Jonas, all,

You guys had expressed some interest in possibly continuing to work on MUSE
back in August, and we haven't heard anything since then.  An active project
requires an active community, and we need to finalize a decision on whether
to move MUSE to the Attic or not.

Can you please let us know whether you think you'll actually have cycles to
maintain MUSE into at least the near future?  If not, we're going to follow
through with our resolution to retire it for now.

Thanks,
--Glen

Re: Retiring MUSE (or not)

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I agree.

Re: Retiring MUSE (or not)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Retiring MUSE (or not)

Posted by Jonas Buys <jo...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Wed, 10/13/10, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> You guys had expressed some interest in possibly continuing
> to work on MUSE
> back in August, and we haven't heard anything since
> then.  An active project
> requires an active community, and we need to finalize a
> decision on whether
> to move MUSE to the Attic or not.
>
> Can you please let us know whether you think you'll
> actually have cycles to
> maintain MUSE into at least the near future?  If not,
> we're going to follow
> through with our resolution to retire it for now.

Hi Glen,

It is actually pretty much me.  What I currently have (but not yet submitted as patches because lack of time and sync issues) is a first rather complete MOWS implementation (where we chose not to implement all details of the request processing state model because it would require too much low-level changes to MUSE kernel).  This implementation is currently in testing phase.  We also have loads of smaller patches to fix some small issues.  Because our trunk is now kind of different now from the official trunk, it was quite difficult to extract individual patch files and submit them.  Whether or not to spend time on trying to isolate patches depends on whether we can actually contribute to a "living project".  I see no reason to spend time on isolating small patch files and submitting those for a project that has been retired.

As I already pointed out, MUSE still is our primary development platform and I will continue to fix whatever I need to have fixed, especially MOWS is key.

Furthermore, we have agreed with one of our master students that he'd look into the issue of adding WS-Policy support to MUSE (on top of Axis2 for WS-RM/Security/TX? policy validation) and to update the build scripts to run MUSE on recent OSGi frameworks, either on J2SE and J2ME.  There is of course no guarantee that he'll manage to accomplish this task though I do not see any immediate technical impediments that would make these things impossible.

So IMO there are a lot of things that could be contributed and updated in the future, though you will understand there will not necessarily be a lot of code to be committed on weekly basis.  I'd say some minor patching every month and every quarter to 6 months a major update to bring MUSE closer to 100% spec compliance (e.g. at the end of my todo list is supporting hierarchical WS-N topic support).

I look forward to your comments and final decision.  Should you require any more information, please feel free to contact me.

Jonas Buys
University of Antwerp
Dept. Mathematics and Computer Science
PATS Research Group