Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Richard Hosking <ho...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/09/06 19:35:06 UTC

Possible bug in adding XMLObject

This may have been reported and fixed...  but here go's....
(i'm using xindice-1.0)

If you add an XMLObject, but get the class name wrong the first
time, Xindice responds with an appropriate error message... good...
but, when you then try again with the correct class name... xindice
reports "XMLObject Duplicate Object".

The object does not show up using an -lo command either.

ie:-

I have a XMLObject implemented in say    com.qq.TestObject

now if I issue the following (note i've got the class name wrong)

xindiceadmin ao -c /db -n Test -i com.qq.TestObj

xindice fails with "ERROR : XMLObject Cannot Create"

fair enough...  now try again with the correct class name:

xindiceadmin ao -c /db -n Test -i com.qq.TestObject

it reports "ERROR : XMLObject Duplicate Object"

The only way to restore proper operation is to clobber the entire
database and start again... making sure the class name is correct
in the first place!

Regards,
Richard.

Re: Possible bug in adding XMLObject

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 10:35 AM, Richard Hosking wrote:
> If you add an XMLObject, but get the class name wrong the first
> time, Xindice responds with an appropriate error message... good...
> but, when you then try again with the correct class name... xindice
> reports "XMLObject Duplicate Object".

As of Xindice 1.1, XMLObjects have been removed :-(  oh well.  Wouldn't
have been my choice, but the choice was made.  In answer to your
question though, I believe my thinking when I wrote that piece of code
was that a bad classname didn't necessarily mean it would be permanently
bad, so the XMLObject is registered with the database with the bad class
name, just not instantiated.  Now the fact that you can't see it in a
listing, or remove it *is* a bug/oversight, but at this point, I don't
think anyone will allow themselves be charged with the task, so it may
be up to you to fix it.  If you need assistance let me know.

--
Tom Bradford - CTO - The dbXML Group - http://www.dbxml.com
Apache Xindice (XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org/xindice