Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/08 04:39:20 UTC

Re: [M1] Plugin hell, help desperately needed - JIRA 1308 created

JIRA-1308 has been opened for this and I am creating the patch files to
attach right now.

configs/geronimo-gbean-deployer/project.xml - uncomment the following
         <dependency>
             <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
             <artifactId>geronimo-packaging-plugin</artifactId>
             <version>${geronimo_version}</version>
             <type>plugin</type>
         </dependency>

assemblies/j2ee-installer/project.xml - insert the following new dependency
         <dependency>
             <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
             <artifactId>geronimo-izpack-plugin</artifactId>
             <type>plugin</type>
             <version>${pom.currentVersion}</version>
         </dependency>

-Donald

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
David Blevins wrote:
> Just as an fyi, this is a nice addition but doesn't really deal with
> the "Plugin hell" issue David is talking about.  It seems to be hit  and
> miss trying to get the new plugins installed and used during any
> particular maven run.
>
>  From my experience it seems as if you delete your ~/.maven/cache and
> ~/.maven/plugins, then the cache gets rebuilt and the latest verision
> of the plugin from your ~/.maven/repository is used.  But as the  plugin
> is updated in the future, it will never reach the ~/.maven/ cache and
> builds will eventually start failing because of it.
>
> There is more too it than that, David highlighted the frustrations
> around the problem a bit better in his email.

Indeed, there's a lot of indeterministic behaviour in the build process. It's interesting that some are able
to successfully build the server w/o the two patches submitted by Donald. That's exceedingly odd and perhaps
related to plugin hell?

Bill

Re: [M1] Plugin hell, help desperately needed - JIRA 1308 created

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Just as an fyi, this is a nice addition but doesn't really deal with
the "Plugin hell" issue David is talking about.  It seems to be hit
and miss trying to get the new plugins installed and used during any
particular maven run.

 From my experience it seems as if you delete your ~/.maven/cache and
~/.maven/plugins, then the cache gets rebuilt and the latest verision
of the plugin from your ~/.maven/repository is used.  But as the
plugin is updated in the future, it will never reach the ~/.maven/
cache and builds will eventually start failing because of it.

There is more too it than that, David highlighted the frustrations
around the problem a bit better in his email.

-David