Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/10/04 02:50:24 UTC

Bugzilla Bug Reports

Hi Folks,

Finally getting to breathe for a few minutes, I'm going to start whacking
off a few of the outstanding Bugzilla bug reports against Struts
(particularly 1.0-final related issues).  While doing this, I'd like to
suggest that we do what several other Jakarta projects are doing, and have
new bug reports initially directed to the STRUTS-DEV mailing list.  That
way, they become more visible to all the developers.  Then, a particular
developer who wants to take ownership of a particular bug report can
assign it to themselves.

This seems to work pretty effectively on Tomcat -- I'd like to try it here
as well.

Craig

Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Finally getting to breathe for a few minutes, I'm going to start whacking
> off a few of the outstanding Bugzilla bug reports against Struts
> (particularly 1.0-final related issues).  While doing this, I'd like to
> suggest that we do what several other Jakarta projects are doing, and have
> new bug reports initially directed to the STRUTS-DEV mailing list.  That
> way, they become more visible to all the developers.  Then, a particular
> developer who wants to take ownership of a particular bug report can
> assign it to themselves.
>
> This seems to work pretty effectively on Tomcat -- I'd like to try it here
> as well.
>
> Craig

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports

Posted by David Winterfeldt <dw...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Sounds like a good way to give more visibility to all
the bugs.

David

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:05:25 -0700
> From: martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports
>
> I like this idea. Then I don't have to check Bugzilla for new bugs any more.
>
> Will this change affect the initial assignment of new bugs? Currently, they
> are automatically assigned to the component owner. I feel a little
> uncomfortable, sometimes, swiping bugs from other people's lists, so I'd
> like to see them initially unassigned, if that's possible, and other people
> agree.

The way we did it in Tomcat is made the initial assignment to a dummy
Bugzilla user (tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org), which just happens
(surprise, surprise) to cause the confirmation mail to go to the mailing
list.  Any bug that is assigned to our dummy user
(struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org) is - in effect - unassigned and fair game
for any Struts developer who wants it.

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig

Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports

Posted by ma...@tumbleweed.com.

Re: Bugzilla Bug Reports

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Sounds good.  I plan to start helping out with bugs
and features on the Struts core after I get the next
version of the Struts Console out (due in about a
week).

-james