Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> on 2009/12/21 10:16:51 UTC

Pom module dependencies

On 19/12/09 9:54 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> OK. I changed it. I don't understand Maven despite having slightly used
> it for some years now. The problem with 'install' is just that it takes
> so long. I don't understand why we want to install anything: can't the
> modules just build themselves against the compiled code in the other
> modules? Do they have to build against what is 'installed'?

I've tracked down the problems I have in Clover to be exactly the same issues. That is, each module in Cayenne builds not against the other modules (and the code which ends up in target folders) but instead against what is 'installed'. Which means that really, you have to *always* install if you want to be sure to avoid problems.

Is this:

A: just how maven works?
B: something odd about the setup of Cayenne's pom?

If B, what is needed to fix this and make 'install' go away? Right now I am stuck unable to build Cayenne at all, because of this error:

    [INFO] Building Cayenne Modeler
    [INFO]    task-segment: [install]

    [INFO] Failed to resolve dependencies for one or more projects in the reactor. Reason: Missing:
    ----------
    1) org.apache.cayenne.unpublished:cayenne-wocompat-unpublished:jar:3.1-SNAPSHOT

I'm guessing that it is alphabetically after cayenne-modeler and so the build can never get to that module to build it and install it. I can probably get around it by manually installing that module and then trying to build the whole project again. But ugh...

Ari

--

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Pom module dependencies

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Not 100% sure how the Maven "reactor" (an in-build set of projects)
scoping works. But yeah, installing modules is the safest thing you
can do.

>   [INFO] Failed to resolve dependencies for one or more projects in
> the reactor. Reason: Missing:
>   1) org.apache.cayenne.unpublished:cayenne-wocompat-unpublished:jar:
> 3.1-SNAPSHOT

My bad. We have module listings duplicated between 1.5 and 1.6
profiles. The wocompat wasn't in 1.6 profile. Fixed now.

Andrus