Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2004/07/12 07:28:31 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10206 - in trunk: . build/generator

rey4@tigris.org wrote:

>Author: rey4
>Date: Fri Jul  9 19:29:19 2004
>New Revision: 10206
>
>Modified:
>   trunk/INSTALL
>   trunk/build/generator/gen_win.py
>Log:
>Windows build simplification. Invoke apr-util configuration script
>(w32locatedb.pl) automatically in gen-make, instead of requiring
>users to do it. This mirrors the build process on unix where our
>configure script calls apr-util's configure script when it is
>building it from source.

Have you checked what happens if you run w32locatedb.pl twice on the
same source? I suspect the link and include lines would appear twice in
the project files, and the source may well get stomped.

Re: svn commit: r10206 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by Russell Yanofsky <re...@columbia.edu>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> Russell Yanofsky wrote:
>> But
>> if it has already been run once and you try to run it again with a
>> different locations then it won't work. The project files get
>> stomped and the source files don't get updated.
>>

> Well, that's going to be a problem in any case. Perhaps I could
> modifiy the script to look for its backup files (suitably uniquely
> renamed) first. Anyway, running this script automatically is
> dangerous, IMHO. For example, during development I regenerate the
> build files regularly, from several different working copies (with
> different relative paths to BDB, meaning different arguments to
> w32locatedb.pl!). But I definitely _don't_ want my apr-util to
> change. So I'd prefer to make this call optional. Could you do that,
> please?

In your case, you should be ok since the script converts the relative paths
into absolute paths before using them. But if someone wanted to configure
with different copies of bdb, they'd be out of luck.

I'll add the option.

- Russ

Re: svn commit: r10206 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Russell Yanofsky wrote:

>Branko ÄOibej wrote:
>

>>Have you checked what happens if you run w32locatedb.pl twice on the
>>same source? I suspect the link and include lines would appear twice
>>in the project files, and the source may well get stomped.
>>

>It works fine if you run w32locatedb.pl twice with the same arguments.

Ah, I must have done something right, then. :-)

> But
>if it has already been run once and you try to run it again with a different
>locations then it won't work. The project files get stomped and the source
>files don't get updated.

Well, that's going to be a problem in any case. Perhaps I could modifiy
the script to look for its backup files (suitably uniquely renamed)
first. Anyway, running this script automatically is dangerous, IMHO. For
example, during development I regenerate the build files regularly, from
several different working copies (with different relative paths to BDB,
meaning different arguments to w32locatedb.pl!). But I definitely
_don't_ want my apr-util to change. So I'd prefer to make this call
optional. Could you do that, please?

-- Brane

Re: svn commit: r10206 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by Russell Yanofsky <re...@columbia.edu>.
Branko ÄOibej wrote:
> Have you checked what happens if you run w32locatedb.pl twice on the
> same source? I suspect the link and include lines would appear twice
> in the project files, and the source may well get stomped.

It works fine if you run w32locatedb.pl twice with the same arguments. But