Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> on 2018/09/04 04:30:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Removing emeritus and activity requirements

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2013/board_minutes_2013_06_19.txt
notes:

"removal of a member of a PMC, except due to their death or
resignation, can be requested of the Board of Directors by the PMC
chairman or by formal decision of the PMC, but requires a decision by
the Board of Directors"

Note that our bylaws say a number of things about "active" PMC members
or committers and "emeritus" status:

https://impala.apache.org/bylaws.html

The even include automatic removal for people who don't contribute for
a while. This was all created when we copied Hadoop's bylaws.

I propose we remove the distinction between active and inactive,
remove the notion of emeritus status (which the ASF's official tools
do not support anyway), and note that removing PMC members required
ASF board approval.

My view is that we should welcome contributions from community
members, including ones who have been inactive for a while.

If this discussion goes well, I'll propose a bylaws diff and a vote on it.