Posted to user@metron.apache.org by "Yerex, Tom" <to...@ubc.ca> on 2019/12/03 23:17:50 UTC

Altering the group by and filter fields in Metron Alerts

Good afternoon,

This applies to Metron 0.7.1.

I am working with the Metron Alerts interface to expose data from the Metron geographic outliers case study (https://metron.apache.org/current-book/use-cases/geographic_login_outliers/index.html).

We leverage the Elasticsearch common schema as a way to apply consistency to the telemetry we have from a variety of sources. Modifying the columns in Metron Alerts has proven to be fairly straight forward, so instead of “ip_src_addr” I can identify a column as “client.ip”, where “client.ip” is used by ECS (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/ecs/current/ecs-using-ecs.html).

I would like to alter the filters and “Group By” parts of the Metron Alerts interface to reflect the fields from ECS, is this possible in the current set up? If this is not possible, is the Metron project referencing a particular schema for the field names?

Thank you,

Tom.

--

Tom Yerex

Cybersecurity Analyst, Information Technology

Cybersecurity | CISO Office

The University of British Columbia | Musqueam Traditional Territory

Ponderosa Office Annex A | Vancouver BC | V6T1Z2 Canada

Phone 604 822 6531

Privacy Matters @ UBC

Re: Altering the group by and filter fields in Metron Alerts

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
I do not believe that they are based on another schema, but I am a bit
foggy about where the names like ip_src_addr and ip_dst_addr originated
from.

Posted by "Yerex, Tom" <to...@ubc.ca>.
Thank you, Nick.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.