Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by jck <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/06 23:57:09 UTC

Re-creating SampleTxDatasource/SampleNoTxDatasource by hand...

I am working myself up to speed with Geronimo EJB3+JPA, and am wrestling with
the same
http://markmail.org/message/rlhorr23z7akikbo#query:JtaDataSourceWrapper+page:1+mid:6x3ou4tzrk7zfeci+state:results
JtaDataSourceWrapper problem  that will (hopefully) be addressed by
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4331 Jira issue 4331 .
Basically, I'm stumped as to how to create a set of jta and non-jta
datasources similar to SampleTxDatasource and SampleNoTxDatasource for a
networked instance of Derby.

As an example, I have a small container-managed JPA entity accessed through
a trivial EJB3 local interface, using annotations, from Eclipse 3.4 with the
Geronimo 2.1 WTP adapter; I can not get it to load properly.  (I can get a
simple EAR with an EJB3 interface to load.)  I am pretty sure the problem is
that I am not providing the "proper" set of jta and non-jta datasource
references.

I am not using maven or ant at this point -- I am just trying to get this
running inside the Eclipse IDE.

This has been discussed previously by David Jencks and others, but I could
not figure out how to create a Tx/NoTx datasource using the Derby network
client using a database and username of my own choosing; guidance from those
who have a better familiarity with this would be appreciated.

I'd also like to take a stab at updating the online documentation and/or
tutorials to make this clearer; but don't know who to talk with to
coordinate a contribution (once I figure this out).

Re: Re-creating SampleTxDatasource/SampleNoTxDatasource by hand...

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:57 PM, jck wrote:

> I am working myself up to speed with Geronimo EJB3+JPA, and am
> wrestling with
> the same
> http://markmail.org/message/
> rlhorr23z7akikbo#query:JtaDataSourceWrapper+page:1+mid:6x3ou4tzrk7zfeci+state:results
> JtaDataSourceWrapper problem  that will (hopefully) be addressed by
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4331 Jira issue 4331 .
> Basically, I'm stumped as to how to create a set of jta and non-jta
> datasources similar to SampleTxDatasource and SampleNoTxDatasource
> for a
> networked instance of Derby.
>
> As an example, I have a small container-managed JPA entity accessed
> through
> a trivial EJB3 local interface, using annotations, from Eclipse 3.4
> with the
> Geronimo 2.1 WTP adapter; I can not get it to load properly.  (I can
> get a
> simple EAR with an EJB3 interface to load.)  I am pretty sure the
> problem is
> that I am not providing the "proper" set of jta and non-jta datasource
> references.
>
> I am not using maven or ant at this point -- I am just trying to get
> this
> running inside the Eclipse IDE.
>
> This has been discussed previously by David Jencks and others, but I
> could
> not figure out how to create a Tx/NoTx datasource using the Derby
> network
> client using a database and username of my own choosing; guidance
> from those
> who have a better familiarity with this would be appreciated.

I have no idea how to do anything with eclipse, and think that a build
system is a more reliable and reproducible build system than an ide.

I would:
1. copy the plugins/system-database/system-database maven project to a
location of your choice and change the parent and id so it is clearly
not part of geronimo.  You'll have to find the plugin management
section that configures the car-maven-plugin and include it in your
pom (or an ancestor pom).  Or you could make a new project with the
geronimo-plugin-archetype and just copy the plan.
2. modify the plan to include userName and password config-properties
and set the database location info as needed
3. change the pom to use the tranql-connector-derby-client-local or
tranql-connector-derby-client-xa connector
4. build
5 install the resulting plugin in an appropriate server.

thanks
david jencks