Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com> on 2010/12/01 20:15:31 UTC

Not-so-much LOTS_OF_MONEY

Lately, I¹ve been seeing spammers trying to convince you to click on a site
to make hundreds or tens of Dollars, like:

http://pastebin.com/MfG74WGW

The mail client probably stripped out the more interesting headers before I
got it from my customer, because it originally hit RELAY_RU, and I don¹t see
a matching header in the current revision.

But, I was wondering if anyone had a good regex for finding these micro-sum
spams?  Now that LOTS_OF_MONEY has been promoted and is doing a great job of
finding the 419-style scammers, they have changed tactics on us again...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281

Re: Not-so-much LOTS_OF_MONEY

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.

On 12/1/10 2:14 PM, "John Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Daniel McDonald wrote:

>>> Catching the simple variants of that is pretty straightforward:
>>>
>>> body  __SOME_MONEY   /\$?(?:\d+,)?\d{3}\b/
>>
>> Seems like that would hit on large sums as well, since there is no anchor on
>> the front of the pattern.  I suppose I could do __SOME_MONEY &&
>> !LOTS_OF_MONEY
>
> or /\b\$?...etc/
>
> That was off the top of my head.
>
>>> ...then use that in metas (untested).
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>>> The complexity comes in from all the various obfuscations. I could work up
>>> something similar to LOTS_OF_MONEY for amounts less than $100k.
>>>
>>> Another problem is smaller amounts of money are much more FP-prone.
>>
>> Agreed.  I've seen a couple of these from India and this one from Russia,
>> but it will require a number of metas to make it at all useful.
>
> Yeah, but it might be quite handy in catching work-at-home spams.

This is what I have come up with so far.  I imagine there are lots more
verbs that need to be added to this to catch them all:

body    __SOME_MONEY_HUNDREDS    /\$\d{2,3}\b/
describe __SOME_MONEY_HUNDREDS        Has a dollar amount up to $one
thousand

body    __EASY_MONEY
/\bI\b.{0,10}(?:racked|pulled|scored|made|profited)/
describe __EASY_MONEY        talks about making easy money

body    __EASY_WORK        /(?:being
online|doing\s(?:(?:simple|easy)\s)?(?:tasks|things|stuff)|working at home)/
describe __EASY_WORK        talks about the work being simple

meta    AE_WORKFROM_HOME    __EASY_MONEY && __SOME_MONEY_HUNDREDS &&
__EASY_WORK && __DOS_HAS_ANY_URI
describe AE_WORKFROM_HOME    work from home spam
score  AE_WORKFROM_HOME        1.00

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281

Re: Not-so-much LOTS_OF_MONEY

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Daniel McDonald wrote:

> On 12/1/10 1:28 PM, "John Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Daniel McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Lately, I¹ve been seeing spammers trying to convince you to click on a site
>>> to make hundreds or tens of Dollars, like:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/MfG74WGW
>>>
>>> The mail client probably stripped out the more interesting headers before I
>>> got it from my customer, because it originally hit RELAY_RU, and I don¹t see
>>> a matching header in the current revision.
>>>
>>> But, I was wondering if anyone had a good regex for finding these micro-sum
>>> spams?  Now that LOTS_OF_MONEY has been promoted and is doing a great job of
>>> finding the 419-style scammers, they have changed tactics on us again...
>>
>> Catching the simple variants of that is pretty straightforward:
>>
>> body  __SOME_MONEY   /\$?(?:\d+,)?\d{3}\b/
>
> Seems like that would hit on large sums as well, since there is no anchor on
> the front of the pattern.  I suppose I could do __SOME_MONEY &&
> !LOTS_OF_MONEY

or /\b\$?...etc/

That was off the top of my head.

>> ...then use that in metas (untested).
>
> Correct.
>
>> The complexity comes in from all the various obfuscations. I could work up
>> something similar to LOTS_OF_MONEY for amounts less than $100k.
>>
>> Another problem is smaller amounts of money are much more FP-prone.
>
> Agreed.  I've seen a couple of these from India and this one from Russia,
> but it will require a number of metas to make it at all useful.

Yeah, but it might be quite handy in catching work-at-home spams.

   Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history,
   nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the
   United States is in now.                          -- Arnold Toynbee
  14 days until Bill of Rights day

Re: Not-so-much LOTS_OF_MONEY

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.

Re: Not-so-much LOTS_OF_MONEY

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Daniel McDonald wrote:

> Lately, I�ve been seeing spammers trying to convince you to click on a site
> to make hundreds or tens of Dollars, like:
>
> http://pastebin.com/MfG74WGW
>
> The mail client probably stripped out the more interesting headers before I
> got it from my customer, because it originally hit RELAY_RU, and I don�t see
> a matching header in the current revision.
>
> But, I was wondering if anyone had a good regex for finding these micro-sum
> spams?  Now that LOTS_OF_MONEY has been promoted and is doing a great job of
> finding the 419-style scammers, they have changed tactics on us again...

Catching the simple variants of that is pretty straightforward:

body  __SOME_MONEY   /\$?(?:\d+,)?\d{3}\b/

...then use that in metas (untested).

The complexity comes in from all the various obfuscations. I could work up
something similar to LOTS_OF_MONEY for amounts less than $100k.

Another problem is smaller amounts of money are much more FP-prone.

   You know things are bad when Pravda says we [the USA] have gone
   too far to the left.                                 -- Joe Huffman
  14 days until Bill of Rights day