Posted to sandesha-dev@ws.apache.org by Benjamin Schmeling <Be...@gmx.de> on 2006/06/01 11:21:48 UTC

Sandesha1.0 Performance

Hi,

I wonder why Sandesha1.0 compared with simple Axis calls has extremely
high response times. I read a thread about this were you recommended to
edit the WSRMPolixy.xml.
I did this and set:

    <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="30"/>
    <wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval Milliseconds="20"/>

This results in no significant performance improvement.

Sandesha needs at least 5 messages according to the RM-Specification
(CreateSeq, CreateSeqRes, SequenceMsg, Acknowledgment, Terminate). This
would result in a 5 times higher response time. If I use a two-way call
this would be increase to 10 (because of the additional sequence for the
response message).

Additionally there is the delay of looking for messages in the queue.

A simple Axis call on my system needs approx. 6-8 ms. When I call the
same service by using Sandesha it needs 4000-5000ms (I would expect
something between 150-200ms). From what does this high response time
result?.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Re: Sandesha1.0 Performance

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for raising this issue, there was a default value used in the code
for RETRANSMISSION interval and I corrected it. Please take a checkout from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/sandesha/branches/sandesha_1_0/

In addition if you set
>    <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="30"/>
>    <wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval Milliseconds="20"/>

values as above then every 30 ms it will send a retransmission and wait for
only 20 ms for an ack. So if you the link is fairly reliable and you need to
send a set of messages increase these values to

>    <wsrm:BaseRetransmissionInterval Milliseconds="5000"/>
>    <wsrm:AcknowledgementInterval Milliseconds="1000"/>

In my testing, it takes on average about 150ms for the round trip for the
echo operation (In tomcat not in SimpleAxisServer).
Remember the processing here is not similar to a simple soap request where
we don't have extensive header processing.

Thanks,
Jaliya

Re: Sandesha1.0 Performance

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.