Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mike Oliver <ol...@appsaspeers.com> on 2002/11/12 21:07:23 UTC

As soon as I read...the next step should be simple...

I knew I was in trouble.

Axis Installation

Step 0 Through Step 4 All ok.  Happy Axis had all it "needed" only
"missing" was the security, xmlsec.jar...no problem.

Version and EchoHeaders both worked peachy.

Step 3...;-)
Very funny...the next step should be simple...and it should be Step
5....very funny.

I see the \axis\WEB-INF\classes\  cool!

I see the \samples\* and all the .class files for all the samples in the
distribution...I'm thinking, yes this "should be simple".

I remember from Step 4 I viewed the deployed services and none of these
samples showed....but that probably means there is an example of how to
deploy these existing samples already put into the classes, I just need
to read further.

Ok here we go Step 6

"Locate the deployment descriptor for your service and execute the
following command:"

Hmmm....from Step 3/5 it says, "In this directory, copy the compiled
java classes you wish to install, being careful to preserve the
directory structure of the java packages. "  Ok, the \samples\*\*.class
files are already there but no .wsdd files and they aren't listed as
deployed.

Since someone went to all the trouble to write all those "samples"
wouldn't it make sense to include a specific example of deploying even
ONE of those?

Ok dig further.

"should be simple" not!

Looking at the command example in Step 6 and looking at the
distribution, I guess that I must go to the \samples\*\*.wsdd directory
for one of these samples and run that command...ok that fits with the
"Locate..." instruction so I am just stupid...and didn't make that
connection on first read.

So I go to the \samples\message\ where I find the deploy.wsdd

"Here we go!" I say to myself.

java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient
-lhttp://localhost:8080/axis/services/AdminService deploy.wsdd

javax/servlet/ServletContext....ok back to the classpath.

- Processing file deploy.wsdd
- <Admin>Done processing</Admin>

Oh Baby!

Then a quick read of the \samples\message\readme

And

java samples.message.TestMsg

...NoClassDefFoundError....hmmm back to classpath for the ubiquitous
(.;..;)

OK! Hello World

Do I dare...things are going so well, and Step 7 Testing could prove the
bad end of the story.

Step 7

Deployed \samples\stock\deploy.wsdd just like above, then

java samples.stock.GetQuote
-lhttp://localhost:8080/axis/servlets/AxisServlet -uuser1 -wpass1 XXX

XXX: 55.25, Yes!  We have Liftoff, Houston we DON'T have a PROBLEM, well
Axis is ok, the Installation Guide sucks, but that's ok, I won't be
reading that again...;-)>

Still unclear whether I must copy the classes first then deploy or if
the deploy copies the classes for me....seems like if I were deploying
to remote machine the AdminClient should copy the classes for me
too....oh well quit while you are a head, java head that is, OOP junky,
X Generation.  Let's see what will Ant do for me...;-)

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
Phone:(520)574-1150
Posted by Alex Dovlecel <do...@kbs.twi.tudelft.nl>.
and another thing about the axis samples.

There seems that the addressbook sample does not have the deploy.wsdd file.
So the testit.sh does no work. ;( Sorry if I am wrong.

And it seems this is not the only service that does not have the wsdd files.
:o(

Hope you are not mad because I say this things, :o(

dovle

Re: As soon as I read...the next step should be simple...

Posted by Alex Dovlecel <do...@kbs.twi.tudelft.nl>.
But the question remains. (never answered)

When I run a client (or the admin class), should I have the HttpServlet class
in my classpath or not?

and again, wich is the sample for Session management (tracking).

10q
dovle

Posted by Alex Dovlecel <do...@kbs.twi.tudelft.nl>.

Posted by Alex Dovlecel <do...@kbs.twi.tudelft.nl>.

:o)))

Lol

Sorry for the interruption
dovle

RE: As soon as I read...the next step should be simple...

Posted by Mike Oliver <ol...@appsaspeers.com>.
Just reviewed Step 5....Excellent!  Much clearer, should help a lot.

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
Phone:(520)574-1150

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

From: "Mike Oliver" <ol...@appsaspeers.com>
Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I hope you noted my tongue in cheek approach.  I was in the process of
> documenting the steps for one of my people and thought it might be
> useful for others trying to do what "should be simple" ;-)

to be honest I kind of stopped my rework at the last two sections because I
wasnt sure what to do with them...I really of the opinion that we should
intro .jws files *before* we get into WSDD. I am also of the opinion that we
should add a JSP page that lets you paste in a WSDD snippet so you dont need
to work with admin client. Finally, why cant axis just invert a wsdd file to
uninstall? And remember what it installed? These are details to be
implemented.

> I hoped you would notice my Ant comment....as one of the Acknowledged
> Reviewer's of your book on Ant, I am happy you did.

ahh, you are that Mike Oliver.

Dont worry, I wasnt upset, just bemused. And FYI I just updated the doc a

Posted by Mike Oliver <ol...@appsaspeers.com>.
Steve,

I hope you noted my tongue in cheek approach.  I was in the process of
documenting the steps for one of my people and thought it might be
useful for others trying to do what "should be simple" ;-)

I hoped you would notice my Ant comment....as one of the Acknowledged
Reviewer's of your book on Ant, I am happy you did.

See my additional comments below.

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
Phone:(520)574-1150
> Axis is ok, the Installation Guide sucks, but that's ok, I won't be
> reading that again...;-)>

I rewrote a fair bit of the doc last weekend, so I am disappointed that
you
find how I spent my friday evening unsatisfactory. Perhaps you would
like to
contribute some of your spare time to the task of improving the docs.

[Mike Oliver>>] well I guess I already did, in a sense, Step 3/5 needs
some more meat...as in an example from the distribution as I did.  I
don't know enough yet to be more than chaff or background noise like
this at the moment, but I will offer suggestions directly to you if you
are the POC.  Just in case you didn't notice yet, there are two Step 3's
and no Step 5.

Your mention of step 0 makes me think you have the updated version
already -
Did you look at the web site or did you look at the version which came
with
your distribution?

[Mike Oliver>>]  I suppose if I had known there was a version with the
distribution I would have....but like most I saw the Installation Guide
on the web site before I downloaded the distribution, so since its
already there when I am ready to install...

> So I go to the \samples\message\ where I find the deploy.wsdd
>
> "Here we go!" I say to myself.
>
> java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient
> -lhttp://localhost:8080/axis/services/AdminService deploy.wsdd

> javax/servlet/ServletContext....ok back to the classpath.

Bug in axis1.0 on java1.4; is now fixed. The reason it isnt in the docs
was
because it is a bug, one that everyone thought was fixed before Axis1.0
shipped. I guess if you are a representative example of a user who reads
the
web site docs rather than the ones that came with their version, then we
have scope to mention the bug in the install docs along with the fix
(get a
nightly build).

[Mike Oliver>>] a note on the web site to "refer to the version in the
distribution for the latest (nightly) updates" might be enough to get
some to look there.

> Still unclear whether I must copy the classes first then deploy or if
> the deploy copies the classes for me....seems like if I were deploying
> to remote machine the AdminClient should copy the classes for me

admin client just tells the server about another service; the files
should
be there. so copy them first

[Mike Oliver>>] ;-) a left handed comment, I was suggesting the
AdminClient should copy the classes for me, I see this as a big win as
it would always ensure the right ones were deployed.

> too....oh well quit while you are a head, java head that is, OOP
junky,
> X Generation.  Let's see what will Ant do for me...;-)

[Mike Oliver>>] Something I didn't mention because I haven't looked to
see if someone else has noticed...the link to the AdminServlet is not
available, if its still on your desktop you should commit it for
tonights build...;-)

Also in cvs are the docs for ant tasks you need, including <axis-admin>

[Mike Oliver>>] thanks, we are basing all of our Java adaptors on axis
so we will be very active.

Re: As soon as I read...the next step should be simple...

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.