Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/22 13:03:55 UTC

Jackrabbit package structure

Hi,

I'd like to better manage the org.apache.jackrabbit package structure.
Optimally we'd assign org.apache.jackrabbit.<component> to each
component we have and require that the component puts all it's
packages and subpackages under that component package.  This way it
would always be obvious which component contains a given class and the
risk of name conflicts would be eliminated.

The current status is:

jackrabbit-api
  org.apache.jackrabbit.api

jackrabbit-classloader
  org.apache.jackrabbit.classloader
  org.apache.jackrabbit.net

jackrabbit-core
  org.apache.jackrabbit.core

jackrabbit-jca
  org.apache.jackrabbit.jca

jackrabbit-jcr-commons
  org.apache.jackrabbit
  org.apache.jackrabbit.commons
  org.apache.jackrabbit.name
  org.apache.jackrabbit.util
  org.apache.jackrabbit.uuid
  org.apache.jackrabbit.value

jackrabbit-jcr-rmi
  org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi

jackrabbit-jcr-server
  org.apache.jackrabbit.server
  org.apache.jackrabbit.webdav

jackrabbit-jcr-servlet
  org.apache.jackrabbit.servlet

jackrabbit-jcr-tests
  org.apache.jackrabbit.test

jackrabbit-spi
  org.apache.jackrabbit.spi

jackrabbit-spi-commons
  org.apache.jackrabbit.conversion
  org.apache.jackrabbit.identifier
  org.apache.jackrabbit.lock
  org.apache.jackrabbit.name
  org.apache.jackrabbit.namespace
  org.apache.jackrabbit.nodetype
  org.apache.jackrabbit.spi(.commons)
  org.apache.jackrabbit.value

jackrabbit-text-extractors
  org.apache.jackrabbit.extractor

jackrabbit-webapp
  org.apache.jackrabbit.j2ee

jackrabbit-webdav
  org.apache.jackrabbit.webdav

I'm OK letting existing packages stay the way they are for now, but we
might want to do some rearranging at least for spi-commons that hasn't
been released yet.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Jackrabbit package structure

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Am Montag, den 22.10.2007, 14:03 +0300 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to better manage the org.apache.jackrabbit package structure.
> Optimally we'd assign org.apache.jackrabbit.<component> to each
> component we have and require that the component puts all it's
> packages and subpackages under that component package.  This way it
> would always be obvious which component contains a given class and the
> risk of name conflicts would be eliminated.

+1. This is a very good idea ! Thanks.

> The current status is:
>
> jackrabbit-api
>   org.apache.jackrabbit.api
>
> jackrabbit-classloader
>   org.apache.jackrabbit.classloader
>   org.apache.jackrabbit.net

The net package has nothing to do with the classloader actually. It is
more like the core of a JCR URLStreamhandler. Maybe it is also misplaced
and wrongly implemented. We could move this someplace else, but I would
not move it below the classloader package.

Regards
Felix