Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> on 1999/09/23 16:30:02 UTC

Re: mod_autoindex/4968: Header and Readme no longer appears

The following reply was made to PR mod_autoindex/4968; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>
To: stoddard@apache.org, rjbrown@ronbotek.com
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_autoindex/4968: Header and Readme no longer appears
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:20:52 -0400

 I've been waiting to see if there was a response on
 comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix for this problem before I sent it in as a
 bug -- I'm glad someone else already did.

 stoddard:
 |Yes, I did misunderstand because this function works fine
 |for me. I have the (dis?)advantage of not knowing how it worked prior to 1.3.9

 I found that in pre-1.3.9, having "HeaderName HEADER" would cause the file
 "HEADER" to be used.  Now in 1.3.9, that doesn't work.  The comments in the
 httpd.conf file says that Apache should be checking for HEADER.txt and
 HEADER.html, which also doesn't work.

 |Apache 1.3.9 requires that the arguments to ReadmeName and
 |HeaderName contain an extension recognized by the server,
 |e.g., Readme.html. Furthermore, the real file's name must
 |exactly match the file name specified in the config
 |directive.

 That kind of sucks -- it means that you are limited to either text or HTML,
 but the server won't automagically pick the right one for you.

 |This is a change from pre 1.3.9 behaviour where
 |the server would intuit the .html extension.  You may be
 |able to enable multiviews in the directory to recover the
 |previous behaviour.

 multiviews doesn't do anything for this, at least with my config.

 I did change the "HeaderLine" option to be "HEADER.txt", and renamed the file
 from HEADER to HEADER.txt, and now it works fine BTW.

 --
 Randomly Generated Tagline:
 "What happened?  You all look like a pak-mara ate your cat." - Ivonova on B5