Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org> on 2011/06/29 19:37:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.1-incubating Release Candidate

Discussion thread for vote on 0.1-incubating release candidate.

For more information on the release process, checkout -
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

Some of the things to check before voting are:
- can you run the demo binaries
- can you build the contents of source-release.zip and svn tag
- do all of the staged jars/zips contain the required LICENSE, NOTICE and
DISCLAIMER files
- are all of the staged jars signed and the signature verifiable
- is the signing key in the project's KEYS file and on a public server

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.1-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Jun 29, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> Discussion thread for vote on 0.1-incubating release candidate.
>
> For more information on the release process, checkout -
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
All the instructions seem to be well followed.

> Some of the things to check before voting are:
> - can you run the demo binaries

Yes I was able to run the binaries just fine. One cosmetic suggestion is to add trouble shooting information to REAME like conflicting ports for future releases.

> - can you build the contents of source-release.zip and svn tag
Yes. on Mac 10.6.7.
> - do all of the staged jars/zips contain the required LICENSE, NOTICE and
> DISCLAIMER files
Yes.
> - are all of the staged jars signed and the signature verifiable
> - is the signing key in the project's KEYS file and on a public server
Yes.

Excellent job in pulling this together Matt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.1-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

The permission issues are an artifact of using jar to uncompres the zip
file. Using unzip, I see the correct permissions.

Marlon

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.1-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
On 6/29/11 3:31 PM, "Marlon Pierce" <mp...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>(Reposting from the [VOTE] thread)
>
>I ran through these.  I was able to build from the tagged SVN and to run
>both the .tar.gz and .zip.  I started, logged in and did a few manual
>tests (moving, deleting, adding gadgets, for example).  No problems. I
>was also able to import the KEYS with gpg, so it is well formed.
>
>Two issues:
>
>* This link is broken:
>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacherave-037/org/a
>pache/rave/rave-master/0.1-incubating/rave-master-0.1-incubating-source-re
>lease.zip

I will make sure to fix this when we go for the IPMC vote, it is supposed
to be

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.1-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Great work Matt and looking good so far!

One minor detail concerning the [VOTE] email itself:

Only the *-source-release.zip distributions for the rave-master-pom and the
rave-project projects represent true and valid (complete!) source distributions.
The other two *-sources.jar for rave-portal and rave-shindig are supportive
artifacts intended to be used by IDEs, but do are not valid source distributions
from ASF requirements POV.
An ASF source release must be completely self-contained from which the
project(s) can be build by itself. For one, this requires build scripts etc.
(our maven pom.xml) to be embedded.
So only the primary *-source-release.zip files qualify for this (and the one for
rave-project also covers/contains everything for rave-shindig and rave-portal as
well).

For future release [VOTE] messages only these *-source-release.zip archives
needs to be indicated as such. Furthermore, after the VOTE (if accepted) the
only these two zip archives and the binary distributions need/should be provided
from the official dist download area.

Regards,

Ate