Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/19 14:34:42 UTC

Anyone working on a Kafka book?

I was approached by a publisher the other day to do a book on Kafka -
something I've actually thought about pursuing. Before I say yes (or
consider saying yes), I wanted to make sure no one else was working on a
book. No sense in producing competing texts at this point.

So, anyone working on a Kafka book? Self published or otherwise?

-David

Re: Anyone working on a Kafka book?

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.
I guess the challenge would be that kafka is still in version 0.8, so by
the time your book comes out they might be at version 1.0 i.e. its a moving
target

Sounds like a great idea though!

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.
This looks great! A few comments

* I think it would be useful to start with a complete example (ready to
copy/paste) and then break it down bit by bit
* Some of the formatting is funky (gratuitous newlines), also I think 2
spaces looks nicer than 4
* In the text, it might be useful to embolden or italicize class names

Also, maybe we should move this to a separate thread?

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@gmail.com>.
I forget but think Chetan was with oreilly

Posted by Magnus Edenhill <ma...@edenhill.se>.
There is this one:

http://www.packtpub.com/develop-custom-message-producers-and-consumers-using-apache-kafka/book

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.
Great, so its not even at MEAP stage then :(, let me guess, it is going to
take 6 months to decide on what animal to put on the cover! :)

Looking forward to in though!

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@gmail.com>.
Would you mind sharing your connection setup?

Posted by Shafaq <s....@gmail.com>.
Thats already done.

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@stevemorin.com>.
Shafaq,

Posted by Shafaq <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

--
Kind Regards,
Shafaq

Re: Anyone working on a Kafka book?

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@stevemorin.com>.
Shafaq,

Posted by Shafaq <s....@gmail.com>.
Hey Guys,

--
Kind Regards,
Shafaq

Re: Anyone working on a Kafka book?

Posted by chetan conikee <co...@gmail.com>.
Hey Guys

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@stevemorin.com>.

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for finding those. Looks like a copy and paste issue. I've updated
the document.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Jonathan Hodges <ho...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that works as well.

Thanks,
Neha

Posted by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dragos Manolescu <Dr...@servicenow.com>.
Fantastic!

Who is the target audience for the book, 0.7.2 users migrating to 0.8 or
potential users of 0.8? Let me suggest a 2nd topic catering to the latter
audience: getting from a dev environment (as described in the quickstart
doc) to a production environment, with Zk/brokers/etc. deployed on
different nodes, including replication and failover. In my experience with
pitching Kafka inside 2 different companies engineers & decision makers
with no first hand experience with Kafka will have a hard time buying in
in absence of seeing the path all the way to production. In addition,
replication and management of failures would also cater to 0.7.2 users,
for whom these are new as well. Just a thought :)

-Dragos

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Curtin <cu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jun,