Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Senyshyn <as...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/04 18:30:07 UTC

[users@httpd] apache behind firewall

Hi all,

I need to get local user IP, but server with apache and php is in
another subnetwork.
So from server environment I can get only router's IP.
The only solution that I see - is getting with some magic algorithm
local IP from brouser and sending it to server.
My application is for intranet, so I don't see any reason to make users
authorization.
Any ideas for this?
thanks beforehand

Re: [users@httpd] apache behind firewall

Posted by Bill Angus <md...@psychtest.com>.
If the router/gateway prevents access to port 80 (or whatever port you are going to listen on) for the machine with the apache server on it -- obviously you need to reconfigure your network so that the server machine's "listen port" is accessible via its LAN IP address to all clients.

If your clients cannot cross LAN sub-net boundaries internally, then you can always have all users access via the WAN.

For access via the WAN, the router needs to be able to forward the incoming "listen port" to the apache sever. If you cannot do this from some present location on your subnet, it will be easiest to change network configuration so that PHP and Apache are accessible and can have the "listen port" (and another required ports) forwarded from the router/gateway which is associated with a WAN/internet IP address.

Bill Angus, MA
http://www.psychtest.com