Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Admin-Stress <me...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/14 15:53:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Please help on apache configuration

I compiled apache 2.0.48 with --enable-deflate , so it's statically linked.

And I add this configuration :

# ===== START =====

<Location />
# Insert filter
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# Netscape 4.x has some problems...
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Don't compress images
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|gz)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
</Location>

DeflateCompressionLevel 9
DeflateFilterNote Input instream
DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
LogFormat '%h %l %u %t "%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/deflate_log deflate

AddEncoding x-compress Z
AddEncoding x-gzip gz tgz

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

# ===== END =====

But why I got nothing in /var/log/httpd/deflate_log ??? The size is 0.

Is there something wrong ?

Is it a BUG (again) in 2.0.48 ?

I tested using Netscape 7, Opera (latest), and IE 6.x.

Please help me,

Thanks in advance

Re: [users@httpd] Please help on apache configuration

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Admin-Stress wrote:

> I compiled apache 2.0.48 with --enable-deflate , so it's statically linked.
>
> And I add this configuration :
>
> # ===== START =====
>
> <Location />
> # Insert filter
> SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

First, I wouldn't recommend this configuration unless you really know what
you are doing.  The AddOutputFilterByType configuration is much safer.

> DeflateFilterNote Input instream
> DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
> DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
> LogFormat '%h %l %u %t "%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
> CustomLog /var/log/httpd/deflate_log deflate
>
> AddEncoding x-compress Z
> AddEncoding x-gzip gz tgz
>
> AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

But you shouldn't be using BOTH SetOutputFilter and AddOutputFilterByType
at the same time.  One or the other.

> But why I got nothing in /var/log/httpd/deflate_log ??? The size is 0.

That really has nothing directly to do with mod_deflate.  CustomLog should
log something regardless of what mod_deflate is doing.  This suggests to
me that you have a basic error someplace.  For example, perhaps you are
editting the wrong configuration file, or perhaps you are placing these
directives in a <virtualhost> that isn't being used.

Try putting
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
in the same place.  If you can still access the site, then you aren't
editting the proper place in the proper config file.

Joshua.