Posted to xap-dev@incubator.apache.org by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com> on 2007/02/15 02:00:12 UTC

Where to next and using JIRA for task tracking.

1. We should use JIRA for task tracking, not just bugs. Will make life easier for coordination, testing, etc.

2. We should start a discussion about next steps. Some thing I have in mind:

Performance of all kinds. (Startup and shutdown, memory, etc)

Drag drop support

Better table/tree/treeTable

General rounding out of widgets

Continuous code cleanup

Better documentation, both jsdoc and more general how to build, run, get started, etc

Potentially integrating some Yahoo UI widgets.

---

The last one requires a bit of explanation. YUI has come a long way in a short amount of time, as has YUI-EXT. (Extra widgets and functionality) YUI code is very nice and the documentation is also very nice. YUI widgets also look very nice and seem pretty stable and functional.

I am particularly interested in tree and table. (And some combination of those into a treetable??) A proper table has a lot of functionality - column sorting, resizing, swapping, one-click editors, etc. Maintaining our own table is pretty painful.

However there are some benefits in that our table is a combined tree/table/treeTable in one set of code. AFAIK neither Dojo nor YUI have a good tree table.

I would like to at least do some investigation into YUI. There are many factors to consider - will it integrate with Dojo loading code (and do we even want to do that), is it easier to work with?

The main thing I like about YUI is the level of polish it has. It doesn't cover nearly the breadth of the Dojo libs but what it does do it seems to do better.

James Margaris

Adding a new component to bug database

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
I'm adding "layouts" as separate from widgets. Will move existing bugs
there as applicable.

James M