Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by jc...@pureperfect.com on 2012/08/16 00:53:57 UTC

RE: OK to run data node on same machine as secondary namenode?

Not an expert but... I think a lot of it depends on your usage pattern.

How many machines are we talking about? What is the replication factor?
If it's only two machines, there would need to be a datanode on both in
order to provide replication.

I guess you could also keep the secondary name node on the same machine
as the name node and just have the other(s) be a data node. After all,
that is the default configuration. It certainly makes administration
easier, since you would only need two machine images instead of three.
If the name node goes down you're hosed anyway. The down side would be
memory consumption on the name node, but recovery time would be faster.
It may not be the best configuration for write-heavy workloads and at
some point you are going to hit a hardware ceiling.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Please keep in mind that you can run an entire cluster on a single server. (Pseudodistributed mode.)

Having said that, while you can do something doesn't mean its a good idea to do it. :-)

With respect to the secondary NN and DN on the same machine? Sure. If the machine has enough power, why not?
However I would probably recommend not doing it.

If you're running Apache based Hadoop, you would want to configure your NN, SN, JT nodes different from you DNs.
But again, there's no reason why it can't be done....

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.