Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Matthew B. Merrill" <mb...@nmi.net> on 2002/07/28 21:21:34 UTC

Size of Indices vs. Data?

Is there any information available about how big indices are likely to
get, given a certain amount of data?

Can you expect, for example, that your index will require, say, 10% of
the disk space that your data takes up?

Anyone have any personal experience they'd like to share here?

Thanks.

--- Matt

Re: Size of Indices vs. Data?

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Matt,

It all depends on how much information in your documents you index, and how
much information you cause to be stored in the index.  In my specific case,
the index is something less than half the size of the database.  I figure
when/if I have time to fine-tune it, I can reduce the size of the index by
about a third.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Terry