Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chad Day <cd...@atpco.com> on 2002/07/09 18:17:37 UTC

Stupid virtual host problem..

I'm trying to set up another virtual host .. here's sample lines from my
conf file

<VirtualHost calendar.mysite.com>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/vhosts/mysite/htdocs/calendar
ServerName calendar.mysite.com
ServerAdmin webmaster@mysite.com
HostNameLookups off
<Directory "/usr/local/www/vhosts/mysite/htdocs/calendar">
  Options All
  AllowOverride All
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

and the regular record..

<VirtualHost mysite.com>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/vhosts/mysite/htdocs
ServerName mysite.com
ServerAlias mail.mysite.com
ServerAlias www.mysite.com
ServerAdmin webmaster@mysite.com
HostNameLookups off
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /usr/local/www/vhosts/mysite/cgi-bin
<Directory "/usr/local/www/vhosts/mysite/htdocs">
  Options All
  AllowOverride All
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The error I get is:

> apachectl configtest
[Tue Jul  9 16:21:51 2002] [error] Cannot resolve host name
calendar.mysite.com --- ignoring!

Now, I've set up similar domains in the past this way.. I can't figure out
why it can't resolve that host name.. can anyone tell me what I am doing
wrong?

Thanks,
Chad

Re: Stupid virtual host problem..

Posted by ap...@dinoneil.com.
One thing that people sometimes get confused with is that the <VirtualHost
hostname> container tells the server what IP address this virtual host is
bound to while the ServerName directive identifies the string of
characters sent from the client in the Host: header.

Assuming you have the desired IP address specified with the
NameVirtualHost directive, your server will need to resolve
calendar.mysite.com to that same IP address for you vhost to work.