Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2006/12/05 14:34:46 UTC

Question about the meaning of "Layout" and "Templates" in the Content application

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix some of the issues in the Content application (for
example https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-263) but I'm facing
some problems because I don't quite understand the meaning of some terms.
For example: what are "Layout" and "Templates"? What is a "CompDoc"? I
think that they are special types of content but I'm not sure.
Is there a document/thread or something that I can look at to get more
information?

Thanks for any help,

Jacopo

Re: Question about the meaning of "Layout" and "Templates" in the Content application

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Al,

Al Byers wrote:
> Jacopo,
>
> I should be able to answer those questions, but it has been so long
> since I have touched it. But I am going to be returning to the land of
> the living soon - I am quitting my day job and going back to work on
> OFBiz full-time as of Jan. Tomorrow morning I am going to start a
> content management task, so I should be able to come up to speed then.
> I would be happy to work with you on any improvements to CMS.

This is a good news! Right now I actually don't have big plans around
the Content component, but I'd like to fix the biggest bugs and clean up
a bit of artifacts to make it easier for the ones interested to continue
the work done so far.

> I wrote the TemplateData.xml file - I think, but I can't remember
> where it was used. I will try to refresh my memory on it, but I think
> we would want to do future "templating" with widgets - since most of
> it will be dragging divs around. But then I have been away from it for
> a while.

I see what you mean; in my opinion, instead of having a lot of similar
examples it would be nice (in general) to have just one or two (maybe
complex and full working) examples... but I know that the content area
is very complex and it is not easy to do so.

Thanks for your help,

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Dec 5, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> David,
>
> thanks for the insight, it really helps me; please see my comments
> inline:
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>> I believe a few descriptions of the CompDoc stuff were sent out to
>> the mailing lists as they were developed and contributed. A search
>> of that should get you some quick results.
>
> Thanks, I will do some researches.
>
>> Unless you're seeing something I'm not aware of a Template is just
>> a template.
>
> So, the definition of a "template" is a Content entry of type
> "TEMPLATE"; is this correct? This means that in the "Find Layout"
> and "List Layout" screens (not sure about the difference between
> them) should only show the Content entries of type = TEMPLATE.

This is tricky... Looking at the data and code briefly what I though
this was doing is not quite what it is doing. I guess it is looking
at content associated with the Content record with ID
"TEMPLATE_MASTER". I'm not sure doing it this way is the best idea...
I like the idea of doing it be a type better than by an association
with a certain record. If there are too many of that type, then we
should move to only a find screen or something to handle the volume.

>> The Layout editor thing is meant to edit a template Content whose
>> dataResourceId points to the template text (in FTL) and then uses
>> ContentAssoc records to tie it to things that will be inserted in
>> different parts of the template. So, a given template can be used
>> for multiple layouts, each with it's own content inserted in the
>> different places.
>
> Are the demo data in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
> ofbiz/trunk/applications/content/data/TemplateData.xml
> a good example of how templates should be setup?
> I cannot see in it any content of "TEMPLATE" type, nor any
> ContentAssoc entries... Is there a good example of demo data for a
> template (including Content/ContentAssoc/DataResource entries)?

It looks like this has some of the basic stuff, almost more seed data
plus who knows what data. It would be great to have a real example of
this stuff.

The ContentAssoc with a map key pattern that is used to fill in place
holders in a template is a pretty common one. That is used for
rendering sub-content as well, like in the "policies" screen in
CommonScreens.xml in the ecommerce component.

Anyway, those are some general thoughts that are hopefully helpful.
It's great to see some more attention going into this.

-David

Re: Hindi Ofbiz....

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Chandresh,

As far as I know there is nothing in Hindi right now and I don't much about it (if any).
But there are chinese files (like framework/common/config/CommonUiLabels_zh.properties), does it help ?

Of course I will be happy to commit your work. Here are some tips that may help you :

Install Eclipse IDE : http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
Install ResourceBundle Editor (RBE) see here : http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=EclipsePlugins
Install Subversion (svn) plugin in Eclipse aka Subclipse :  http://subclipse.tigris.org/
Link to the repository with Subclipse help : http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/svn.html
Make a project from this repository with Subclipse (Check Out)
At this point you should be able to do any translation with *ease* (RBE will create new *_hi_IN.properties.file automatically for
you)

Jacques

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Take a look at this it should tell you how translations are done:
http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/internationalizing_ofbiz.php

On Dec 5, 2006, at 11:33 PM, Raj Saini wrote:

> Chand,
>
> I am also interested in doing it and looking forward to start on it
> very soon. I will let you know when I have one or two page ready.
>
> Regards,
>
> Raj
>
> Chandresh Turakhia wrote:
>> Dear all ,
>>
>> Has anyone tried to localization for non-Latin languages. Hindi e.g.
>>
>> Just help me 1 page localization setup for Hindi. Rest my team
>> will do the rest.
>>
>> Hopefully we can try to open source the same to apache.
>>
>> Anyone interested.
>>
>> Chand
>> Computer Linguistics Evangalist.

Best Regards,

Si
sichen@opensourcestrategies.com

Re: Hindi Ofbiz....

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Chand,

Hindi Ofbiz....

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David,

David E Jones wrote:

> I believe a few descriptions of the CompDoc stuff were sent out to the
> mailing lists as they were developed and contributed. A search of that
> should get you some quick results.

Thanks, I will do some researches.

> Unless you're seeing something I'm not aware of a Template is just a
> template.

So, the definition of a "template" is a Content entry of type
"TEMPLATE"; is this correct? This means that in the "Find Layout" and
"List Layout" screens (not sure about the difference between them)
should only show the Content entries of type = TEMPLATE.

> The Layout editor thing is meant to edit a template Content
> whose dataResourceId points to the template text (in FTL) and then uses
> ContentAssoc records to tie it to things that will be inserted in
> different parts of the template. So, a given template can be used for
> multiple layouts, each with it's own content inserted in the different
> places.

Are the demo data in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/applications/content/data/TemplateData.xml
a good example of how templates should be setup?
I cannot see in it any content of "TEMPLATE" type, nor any ContentAssoc
entries... Is there a good example of demo data for a template
(including Content/ContentAssoc/DataResource entries)?

Thanks,

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
I believe a few descriptions of the CompDoc stuff were sent out to
the mailing lists as they were developed and contributed. A search of
that should get you some quick results.

Unless you're seeing something I'm not aware of a Template is just a
template. The Layout editor thing is meant to edit a template Content