Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nuno Araujo <nu...@russo79.com> on 2004/05/11 22:08:22 UTC

Problems with svn copy and svn move and an httpS server

Hello.

I installed subversion in my machine and configured it in apache, within
an virtual host:

<IfDefine SVN>
  <IfModule !mod_dav_svn.c>
    LoadModule dav_svn_module extramodules/mod_dav_svn.so
    LoadModule authz_svn_module extramodules/mod_authz_svn.so
  </IfModule>
  <VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName    svn.<domain>.com
    ServerAlias   svn.<domain>.com:443
    ErrorLog  /var/log/apache2/svn-error_log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/svn-access_log combined
    <Location />
      DAV svn
      SVNParentPath /home/svn
      AuthzSVNAccessFile /home/svn/conf/permissions

      Satisfy Any
      Require valid-user

      AuthType Basic
      AuthName "russo79.com subversion repository"
      AuthUserFile /home/svn/conf/svnusers
    </Location>
  </VirtualHost>
</IfDefine>

SVN is defined with the -D option of apache

The apache version installed is 2.0.49, the neon version installed is
0.24.5 and the subversion version is  1.0.2

With this configuration, i can do checkouts and commits with no problem
at all...

But if i do an svn cp <folder1> <folder2> or an svn mv
when i do the svn commit, the following error appears:

Adding         nope/branches/test
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: COPY of test: 502 Bad Gateway (https://svn.<domain>.com)

If i reconfigure my server to use http and not https this works without
any problem...

I'm starting to be really lost here...

Does anyone had the same problem? Or has any ideas?

I don't have any proxy server listening to the https port.

Thank you in advance

--
Nuno Araujo <nu...@russo79.com>

Re: Problems with svn copy and svn move and an httpS server

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2004-05-12 00:08+0200, Nuno Araujo wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I installed subversion in my machine and configured it in apache, within
> an virtual host:
>
>   <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerName    svn.<domain>.com
>     ServerAlias   svn.<domain>.com:443
>     </Location>
>   </VirtualHost>
> </IfDefine>
> With this configuration, i can do checkouts and commits with no problem
> at all...
>
> But if i do an svn cp <folder1> <folder2> or an svn mv
> when i do the svn commit, the following error appears:
>
> Adding         nope/branches/test
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: COPY of test: 502 Bad Gateway (https://svn.<domain>.com)
>
> If i reconfigure my server to use http and not https this works without
> any problem...

The big picture is following:

1) You can't use https + virtual host, see apache documentation [1]
   (if you don't have separete IP for it)

2) (This might be somehow wrong), when you are doing merge, move or
   copy you are using WebDAV commands, which need that both resources
   are in the same namespace. [2] Now because virtual domains don't work,
   they aren't, and this is the reason why you are getting 'bad
   gateway' error.

This is REALLY IIRC, so I hope someone will correct me if this is
complete off-track. I have been bitten by the same kind of problems
with proxies and subversion.

BR, Jani

1) http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

2) Try search webdav-mailing list... found this somewhere there, some
   time ago, but couldn't find it again.

--
Jani Averbach

Re: Problems with svn copy and svn move and an httpS server

Posted by Greg Cornell <gr...@wwc.edu>.