Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by STEVE BURRUS <bu...@go.com> on 2002/09/08 21:52:42 UTC

Still need help w. Tomcat installation

 I STILL need some degree of help/assistance from someone in this newsgroup re. installing Tomcat!!! That is really a damned SAD thing to have to say at this late date now, you would think that I could have had this thing figured out by now! (Maybe I am just flat too DUMB to be a member of this newsgroup, I don't know!! :) )

 Anyway, I think that the "crux" of my problem is that I am editing the environment variables in System the wrong way!! Do I or do I not leave on the ; (semi-colon) after the particular path in the JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME, etc.? When I try to activate Tomcat in DOS, I always seem to get an error message saying that the JAVA_HOME variable is either missing or improperly set. Now, what's up with that anyway?

                                         Sincerely Yours,
                                             Steve Burrus

SINCERELY YOURS,
    STEVE BURRUS

help getting up and running

Posted by "Grant C. Peters" <gr...@earthlink.net>.
I have uninstalled my working tomcat 3.2.3 in favor of tomcat 4.1 (so that I
could upgrade my jdk/jre to 1.4) and it is not loading classes properly, the
classes in %CATALINA_HOME%\examples\WEB-INF\classes are not found nor are
the classes in %CATALINA_HOME%\lib or anywhere else they are supposed to be,
I have set my %CATALINA_HOME%\ env var to the correct location, I am running
tomcat on win2k pro
Please help
thanks

Grant C. Peters
grantcpeters@earthlink.net
phone  : 415.948.7030

Re[2]: Still need help w. Tomcat installation

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Steve,

JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME environment variables should *NOT* have a
semicolon in them, just the full path itself (with no spaces...which
means Tomcat should be installed in a path with no spaces like
c:\Tomcat-4.1.10).  The semicolon is used by PATH and CLASSPATH
environment variables to delimit each entry in the respective
variable.  You don't need to worry about that.

Jake

m> My JAVA_HOME on my hope set up is set to:

m>          c:\j2se14

m> bin is at C;\j2se14\bin.  Did you set PATH?  My PATH is set to:

m>          %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
m> Files\SecureCRT        3.0;C:\j2se14\bin;%ANT_HOME%\bin;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

m> The relevant part for you, clearly, is %JAVA_HOME%\bin.

m> Are you using \ for Win or / for Linux/Unix?

m> Hope this helps.  Boy, you've been at it a while.  I admire your
m> stick-to-it-ive-ness.

m> Micael

m> For additional commands, e-mail: <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

--
Best regards,

Re: Still need help w. Tomcat installation

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
My JAVA_HOME on my hope set up is set to:

         c:\j2se14

bin is at C;\j2se14\bin.  Did you set PATH?  My PATH is set to:

         %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\SecureCRT        3.0;C:\j2se14\bin;%ANT_HOME%\bin;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

The relevant part for you, clearly, is %JAVA_HOME%\bin.

Are you using \ for Win or / for Linux/Unix?

Hope this helps.  Boy, you've been at it a while.  I admire your
stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Micael

Posted by jon wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
No trailing semi-colon. No trailing slash.

:)

[...]

Posted by Vi...@answare.fr.
To run Tomcat in DOS, you must specify the JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME
environment variables (system or user are not important in a first step). If
you have already done it, you must close your DOS window and open a new one
in order to the variables became enabled.

hopes it help you.