Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Linlin Du <li...@hotmail.com> on 2014/03/11 23:25:09 UTC

About region management

Hi all,

Our usage of hbase is pretty dummy and in many cases, time stamp is used as the prefix
of the keys. And it is too late to get that fixed now.
As more data comes in, more new regions will be sprawn from the existing regions. And after
the retention period expires, many regions are literally empty. It is desirable to have these
empty region deleted. So my question is how to find out when a region was last modified/read.
And is there any easy way to merge those regions when they are empty?

Thanks.

Linlin

Re: About region management

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to ask the version of HBase you're using.

merge_region command is not available in 0.94.x

FYI

Re: About region management

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.