Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com> on 2007/09/08 04:58:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with accurate Error Status codes

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, and if it isn't I
appologize; would you be able to direct me to the right place to ask this?

I've currently got an apache/tomcat installation using mod_jk to communicate
between the two.  Everything works perfectly.  The only issue I have is when
I am redeploying my application in tomcat, or decide to stop tomcat
altogether, is that I have no idea how to configure a proper error page to
be displayed to the user.  Right now, all I see is a "200 OK The server
encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request......" error page.

I'm not sure if this is an apache configuration problem, or a tomcat issue,
or a mod_jk issue.  I can't figure out why the apache server is return a
status of 200 if my tomcat server is down, and consequently, apache is
unable to access it.  I'm guessing that it is returning a status of 200 b/c
my browser is able to communicate with Apache itself, even though its
request to tomcat was unavailable.  Or unless I am missing something in my
apache configuration to display a better error page?  I'm assuming that
Apache should be returning some other value, but quite frankly, I don't know
what that should be, or even how to "enable" it.

If I check the headers sent using Fiddler, I get the following:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:04:51 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.52 (White Box)

However, it is definitely not "OK" b/c my tomcat server is down.

I checked my apache logs and don't see any error msgs show up either in
there (I have the logging level set to "warn").

Do I have something foobar'ed in my apache config?  Or is it a problem in my
mod_jk params?  If it makes any difference, I am running mod_jk v1.2.10 w/
Apache 2.0.52.

Thanks for any help.

Eric