Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1998/07/06 04:35:07 UTC

record specweb...

http://www.sun.com/solaris/xeon/

I'm still having a hard time convincing myself it's not cheating to put
http into the kernel.  ;)

Dean

Re: record specweb...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
That's sort of what the flow stuff is all about... providing an API for
modules to give enough information so that a cache can be built which
supports all sorts of applications.  static stuff is the easiest.

Dean

Re: record specweb...

Re: record specweb...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Christof Damian wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > http://www.sun.com/solaris/xeon/
> >
> > I'm still having a hard time convincing myself it's not cheating to put
> > http into the kernel.  ;)
>
> ;-)
>
> I wonder how high one of these new four way Xeon boxes (Dell PowerEdge
> 6300, IBM Netfinity 7000 M10, maybe even a VAResearch box) running Linux
> & Apache would score on SpecWeb.

It wouldn't do very well.  Maybe a result of 2000.  Linux has scaling
problems on SMP boxes (incoming bandwidth doesn't scale well, outgoing is
fine I believe).  Linux' network drivers also won't transition from
interrupt-driven to poll-driven mode under high load, which means cpu time
is wasted in interrupts.

Re: record specweb...

Posted by Christof Damian <da...@mediaconsult.com>.
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> http://www.sun.com/solaris/xeon/
>
> I'm still having a hard time convincing myself it's not cheating to put
> http into the kernel.  ;)

;-)

I wonder how high one of these new four way Xeon boxes (Dell PowerEdge
6300, IBM Netfinity 7000 M10, maybe even a VAResearch box) running Linux
& Apache would score on SpecWeb.

With the sendfile() stuff, (maybe flow,) some tuning together with the
Apache Group it probably could be pretty high without httpd in the
kernel.

Now someone has to convince RedHat to buy a SpecWeb license & Dell/IBM
to provide the hardware.

damian
--
Christof Damian
Technical Director

RE: record specweb...

Posted by Simon Spero <se...@tipper.oit.unc.edu>.
> > http://www.sun.com/solaris/xeon/
>
> That pretty much destroys their claims about the superiority of
> SPARC hardware. Is a 4-way Xeon really faster than an N-way
> Starfire on SpecWeb?

This is almost entirely the result of their software tweaking, though it's
interesting they chose to release results  for XEON rather than sparc.

One of the biggest problems with benchmarks like SpecWeb; by the time you've
dumped stuff into the kernel the CPU is basically optional :); there's lots
of ways to optimise for benchmark world (no SSL, no real dynamic pages,
etc). Also, because of the limited number of client streams they don't
reflect how servers would display when handling that number of requests over
a real network (TLB flipping costs  and memory cache sizes start to become
more important).

OF course, I remember when I held the blue ribbon for web performance at 130
tps. Of course, that was back in 94 :-)

Simon

RE: record specweb...

Posted by Wesley Felter <we...@cs.utexas.edu>.