Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Phil Yang <ya...@apache.org> on 2017/03/09 08:34:08 UTC

A suggestion for releasing major versions faster (Was: NOTICE: Nice testimony on benefits of the offheap read-path work now up on our blog)

Nice article! Thanks for the authors.

An off-the-topic suggestion to dev list:

Now we commit some big and new features to master branch only, which will
be included in a new major version, for example, 2.0. However, a major
version is not upgraded very quickly, 1.0.0 was released two years ago and
we still don't release 2.0.0. HBASE-11425 is resolved more than one year
ago. In the worst case, if we make some work done and commit to master
branch just after cutting a new major release branch, the feature will be
released two years later or even longer. It is no need and no benefits to
wait so long. Bugs of the new feature in dev branches only are hardly to be
found, and committers may not be familiar with a feature which is committed
two years ago...

So my suggestion is cutting branch-x faster and have some fixed period, for
example, six month or one year?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: A suggestion for releasing major versions faster (Was: NOTICE: Nice testimony on benefits of the offheap read-path work now up on our blog)

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Yeah we have put too much things into the 2.0 release. And I believe there
is a release schedule for 2.0 in the mailing-list?

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Let's just cut branch-2 ASAP and set a deadline for the partially-completed
features?

Posted by Phil Yang <ya...@apache.org>.
> To rephrase myself - I think we shouldn't be taking stance that
> MajorBranchX can't be released until features f1, f2, f2,...fN are all
completed.

Agree, we should not be blocked by any feature.

Some new features don't conflict with current codes, I think we can just
commit to branches and
add a how-to-enable document into HBaseBook/ReleaseNote or enable it by
default, when it is ready.

For the issues that may break the branch to can-not-release state, I think
we should never get them in and open a feature branch,
merge them when they are all ready.

Thanks,
Phil

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> FEATURES.

>> decisions:

>> issues.)

>> branch

>> isn't
>> working

>> branch-2
>> the

>> what

>> yangzhe1991@apache.org>

>> good
>> commit
>> out

>> > --
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> >    - Andy
>> >
>> > If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
>> > Teller (via Peter Watts)
>> >

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy
>>
>> If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond

Michael Antonov

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org>.
>>"The only way forward for saving 2.0 at this point is to *make the branch
and spin the RC."

big +1 to that.

I do also think that talking about planning in the context of open-source
community development is a bit hard - there's no planning but what people
do. If we release regularly, however, we would naturally be picking
important things (features, fixes, optimizations), because things that were
planned but not completed up to some usable checkpoint state were, by the
very definition, not truly important enough in the grand schema of things.
From the perspective, releasing regularly is more important than preparing

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Jiang <sy...@gmail.com>.