Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2016/09/05 14:39:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 RC1

This is the discussion thread.

Thanks,
Alex Harui

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

We don't have to fix every issue during a release.  Please file a JIRA
ticket so that we can fix this in the next release.

Thanks,
Om

AW: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi gu
Hire about this option: we ship the release and address this issue with asf legal to settle this discussion once and for all.

I understand Justin's point. On the other side I understand you guys, that want to get stuff out the door. I don't understand your continued objections to Justin's findings however. If I didn't understand it wrong, he is suggesting to add a mention of the license and to keep the headers in tact. What harm would there be done by this? So let's just do it in "develop", but release 0.7.0 now.

Justin you are right, I could do my talk without, but being able to say "released yesterday" or "today" would be valuable help in getting people to look at it.

Chris

Von: Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>
Datum: 07.09.16 07:21 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 RC1

Agreed.

I’m not even convinced we need the mention of the MIT license for OpenFL (there was no verbatim code copied). Even if we do mention it, including the full license text is not a release blocker and can be treated as a bug for the next release.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/6/16, 3:54 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> While you are technically correct, I'd still ship this RC.
>
>So you’re advocating ignoring the terms of a 3rd party license and
>ignoring ASF policy on releases?

I'm not ignoring the policy.  The policy states: "assuming that said
license applies uniformly to all files" which isn't the case for the
snippets we borrowed from OpenFL.

>I’ll let Chris speak for himself but I’m sure he can use a snapshot /
>nightly release for this talk so I don’t think  here’s no real need for
>expediency here.

Sure, there are alternatives.  But IMO the community is best served by
delivering a release for his talk.  We have given every opportunity for
folks to help make this happen.  We can still make it happen.  You have
your opinion.  We'll see what the other PMC members want to do.  I
encourage them to vote +1.

>> For the FlatUI bundle, I did not see an MIT License in their repo.
>
>If it is MIT licensed then you need as per the terms of the license to
>add the copyright and text of the licenses. It’s also ASF legal and
>release policy. If you want an exception you would probably need to ask
>VP legal before making an release. I've seen that been granted (usually
>as a one off) in the past.

The upstream dependency did not handle the license correctly, otherwise
there would be a version we could copy from their repo.  It isn't our job
to fix that.  Nor was it to fix the missing NOTICE from Google Closure.  I
can't see any bad thing happening from shipping what we have.  The code
will be under MIT license either way.  I doubt anybody will try to jump
through that hole.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
On 9/6/16, 7:41 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>-1 (binding). The LICENSE file mentions 2 MIT licensed pieces of software
>but we are not including the copyright or text of the respective MIT
>license as required by terms of the MIT license. [1] Normally in a source
>release you would add a local file pointer to the full text in LICENSE
>[2]. I would vote +1 on another RC if there pointer to the full MIT
>license text added.
>
>For info on ASF policy and why I voted -1 see [3] ("meet all requirements
>of ASF policy”) [4] (“Every ASF release MUST comply with ASF licensing
>policy") and [5] ("The component license itself MUST either be appended
>or else stored elsewhere in the package”).

While you are technically correct, I'd still ship this RC.  I'd rather get
the bits on the mirrors for Chris's talk.  The providers of the MIT
software have been mentioned in LICENSE, so they have been given
attribution, just not as perfectly as one might like.

For the FlatUI bundle, I did not see an MIT License in their repo.  It
doesn't really make sense to me to just place a copy of the vanilla MIT
license to satisfy this technicality.

For the OpenFL source derivation, the file we borrowed snippets from does
not have a header, and since we didn't copy all of their code, we don't
want to copy their LICENSE verbatim as it mentions things that we didn't
copy.

We could cut another RC with the part of the OpenFL license that applies
copied into our LICENSE and have a short vote on it.  I've pushed that
change in case we want to go that way (and added a blurb into Matrix.as
since there is no header to copy), but, I'm fine with going with RC1 since
we know that we'll pick up this change in the next release.  What do
others want to do?

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Everything looks ok to me now.  Thanks for sticking with it.

The mirrors will take up to 24 hours to propagate these changes so some
folks may not have this file if they install today.

-Alex

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Josh,

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Okay, I think I have everything set up properly, and I'm ready to commit
the updated binaries to SVN. However, as a final test just to be sure, I
tried to extract the new binary and manually run ant -f installer.xml.
Unfortunately, it failed. I noticed that installer.xml still references
0.6.0, so it was trying to download the wrong files:

<property name="flexjs.version" value="0.6.0"/>
<property name="falcon.version" value="0.6.0"/>

If I manually change them to 0.7.0, the installation script finishes
successfully. Should I update those values too, before I upload?

By the way, I double-checked, and these values are incorrect in the 0.7.0
source packages too. I don't know how serious an issue that is.

- Josh

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Just to be sure, I cleaned the third-party downloads in my local repository
and ran ant all. The file ended up in the correct location, as it had when
I originally tested my change. This seems to confirm that the 0.7.0 binary
release was built using cached downloads, which were out of date.

To avoid this issue in the future, whichever ant target is used to create a

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.