Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sankaranarayanan (Ganesh) Ganapathy" <sg...@vitria.com> on 2002/07/12 19:39:36 UTC

Do we need to use doCloseWithReadPending option on HPUX for tomcat4.0.3 as well?

Hi All,

I tried running tomcat4.0.3 on hpux and I find that tomcat hangs while shutdown if the VM is not started using -XdoCloseWithReadPending option. Is that the experience of other tomcat users on hp-ux?

The documentation for this option says that a socket close call will block on a thread if there is a outstanding read request on the same socket from another thread . I wrote a small program to simulate it but my socket close call did not block as expected.

I am not sure I understand this fully - can somebody explain? That will same me a lot of time!

Thanx in advance for any help.

--Ganesh

Re: Do we need to use doCloseWithReadPending option on HPUX for tomcat4.0.3 as well?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
When using HPUX - use the doCloseWithReadPending flag. If you are using
and kind of JK connectivity(or if not but its still in your server.xml
file) - they are sockets open waiting on a read request from apache to
deliver the next pending request.

If you are pooling db connections - the db connections could also have a
TCP/IP socket open waiting for a read for reasons we would care to know.