Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> on 2022/02/25 20:21:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] Location of Security Page on Website

Hi Pulsar Community,

I recently contributed a "Security Policy and Supported Versions" page
to our website [0]. I just noticed that it is not yet showing up on
the website because it is in the versioned section of the
documentation. I think it would make sense to move this page location
so that it is not versioned, since its content is independent of the
Pulsar version, but I'm not sure where it should go.

Is there a good place we can put the page? I could see adding a button
in the "Community" drop down tab at the top of the page. I could also
see adding a "Security" tab in the top bar. I am open to suggestions.

My main priority is that users should be able to easily discover this
important content.

Thanks,
Michael

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/10829

Re: [DISCUSS] Location of Security Page on Website

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your reply, Yu.

I am fine with separating the information in the "Security Policy and
Supported Versions" page.

First, I think it would make sense to add "reporting a vulnerability"
information anywhere that our documentation has contact info (many of
the pages you reference have their security contact info in the
contact section). I submitted a PR for this here [0]. We can also have
this information on the "Contribution" page.

Apache Spark's website is another one we could consider. Their website
has their versioning policy information under a "Developers" tab at
the top of the website [2]. That tab also has a security page that
includes previous CVEs and information on how to report a
vulnerability. I am not sure that we need a "developers" tab, but I
like the idea of having dedicated pages for security and for
versioning policy. Both pages will have important information that
users should be able to easily find.

> 2.4 Move the "Versioning Policy" and "Supported Versions" sections to the
> "PIP 47: Time Based Release Plan" page [7] since they are more relevant.

I think all of this information (including the PIP 47 information)
should live on the website, not on the GitHub wiki. I would prefer to
have a "Release Plan" that is independent from a single PIP so that it
can be easier to make updates to the release plan, as needed. Notice
that the Apache Spark website's Versioning Policy page also has a
section for "Release Cadence". My preference is to add a new button
somewhere (it could be in the "Community" drop down or in another one)
that has buttons for our "Versioning Policy" and for our "Release
Process".

Thanks,
Michael

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/14610