Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2019/01/07 08:00:16 UTC

[tutorials] JIRA to review the donated tutorials / NetBeans 11

Hi all,

I've created JIRA 1867 to track the review of the third-donation
tutorials at

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1867

This has subtasks for different parts of the tutorials. I've create
subtasks for java, ide and php. We may want to create subtasks for cnd
(C/C++), web, websvc, javaee, javame later on.

Proposed things to do:

- decide if the tutorial applies to Apache NetBeans or not.
- update the minimum requirements.
- fine-tune the content (remove unwanted parts or substitute wrong
tables, etc.)
- find which images are missing from the tutorials (that were not
donated) and create alternatives.
- same for sample code (do we want to create a repo for this?)
- update the minimum requirements.
- create a src/content/kb/trails directory and link to proper tutorials.

Once each section is reviewed and we're comfortable with the review we
may want to allow users to navigate to each section.

I think it would be great if we could at least have the "java", "ide"
and "php" sections ready for NetBeans 11.

Enhancements/ideas are most welcome.

Thanks,
Antonio

P.S.: I (can't/don't know how to) create Kanban boards in JIRA. Maybe
it's a good idea to create a board with all these tasks? Anyone?

Re: [tutorials] JIRA to review the donated tutorials / NetBeans 11

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

I solved a small bug with clickable images that were wrongly
constructed. We should be able to see more images now at
http://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart.html (some of them
clickable with the colorbox plugin).

That'd make the review easier, I think.

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Thats okay, it makes sense.

Regards

John

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

We also have the _ca suffix for catalán [1].

We can include a bottom footer on all tutorials (we're using
src/content/templates/tutorial.gsp as the template for tutorials)
linking to the different versions. If a translation exists then link to
the translation, otherwise link to a page requesting for a translation.

I think it's a great idea to focus on the english version of the
tutorials (we have little time for NetBeans 11), and then ask people for
help with the translations (for NetBeans 11+).

Cheers,
Antonio

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-website/blob/master/netbeans.apache.org/src/content/kb/docs/web/jsf20-support_ca.asciidoc

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Quick question...

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Antonio,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Geertjan,

So let's go! See PR-101 [1] that adds all java/ide/php tutorials to
/help/index.html.

We will still be using NETBEANS-1867 [2] to keep track of which
tutorials have been reviewed.

Kind regards,
Antonio

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-website/pull/101

[2]

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
I.e., since they're all on GitHub, we should be able to tweak and review
each tutorial live on GitHub, once they're linked into the
netbeans.apache.org page.

Gj

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM Geertjan Wielenga <

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
Or simply use AsciidocFX <https://asciidocfx.com/> to visualise the
tutorials

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Geertjan,

I updated https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1867 with some
basic instructions. Feel free to enhance.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Geertjan,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Brad Walker <bw...@musings.com>.
Understand..

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

El 07/01/2019 a las 21:54, Geertjan Wielenga escribió:
> I think in general we should make the tutorials be less wordy, less long
> paragraphs.

Geertjan, I think you should be adding those pieces of advice to the
website tips & tricks [1].

After all, you're one our favourite bloggers! ;-)

Thanks,
Antonio

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=100827339

Re: [tutorials] JIRA to review the donated tutorials / NetBeans 11

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Wow, this looks really nice now:

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi John,