Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/12 05:24:20 UTC

Parameter not working for master/slave

I am using 3.3 SOLR. I tried passing in -Denable.master=true and
-Denable.slave=true on the Slave machine.
Then I changed solrconfig.xml to reference each as per:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#enable.2BAC8-disable_master.2BAC8-slave_in_a_node

But this is not working. The enable parameter does not appear to work in 3.3.

If this supposed to be working? What else can I do to debug it? How
can I see other parameters working in solrconfig.xml ?

--
Bill Bell
billnbell@gmail.com

Re: Parameter not working for master/slave

Posted by Pulkit Singhal <pu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Bill,

I can't really answer your question about replicaiton being supported on
Solr3.3 (I use trunk 4.x myself) BUT I can tell you that if each Solr node
has just one core ... only then does it make sense to use
-Denable.master=true and -Denable.slave=true ... otherwise, as Yury points
out, you should use solr.xml to pass in the value for each core
individually.

What is a node you ask? To me it means one App Server (Jetty) running Solr
... doesn't matter if its multiple ones on the same machine or single ones
on different machines. That's what I mean by a node here.

Posted by Yury Kats <yu...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 11, 2011, at 23:24 , William Bell wrote:

> I am using 3.3 SOLR. I tried passing in -Denable.master=true and
> -Denable.slave=true on the Slave machine.
> Then I changed solrconfig.xml to reference each as per:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#enable.2BAC8-disable_master.2BAC8-slave_in_a_node
>
> But this is not working. The enable parameter does not appear to work in 3.3.
>
> If this supposed to be working? What else can I do to debug it? How
> can I see other parameters working in solrconfig.xml ?

Bill -

To test a system parameter being passed in, you can try this trick - edit the /debug/dump (or any request handler you fancy really) like so:

  <requestHandler name="/debug/dump" class="solr.DumpRequestHandler" >
    <lst name="defaults">
     <str name="test_param">${solr.test_param:DEFAULT}</str>
     <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
     <str name="echoHandler">true</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

I launched Jetty like this: java -Dsolr.test_param=MYTOM_VALUE -jar start.jar

And http://localhost:8983/solr/debug/dump?wt=json&indent=on yields this:

{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":2,
    "handler":"org.apache.solr.handler.DumpRequestHandler",
    "params":{
      "indent":"on",
      "wt":"json"}},
  "params":{