Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl> on 2005/06/08 20:30:37 UTC

Why is streaming of an internal pipeline not possible?

Hi,

Having just passed the discussion on whether or not to ignore the serializer when caching an
internal pipe, the following error message popped into my mind:

	"Streaming of an internal pipeline is not possible with a reader."

Which is raised by the AbstractProcessingPipeline when the process function is called when a reader
is specified.

It prevents to do things like generating a PDF with one pipe and accessing it with a reading without
going through the HTTP stack. It also occured (in earlier versions) when using the StreamGenerator
inside an internal pipe.

I have disabled the test that throws the error on occasion, just as a test but with success. So why
is it there and is it valid or might it need some more refinement?

Thanks for any comment,
Geert

Re: Why is streaming of an internal pipeline not possible?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Geert Josten wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Having just passed the discussion on whether or not to ignore the
> serializer when caching an internal pipe, the following error message
> popped into my mind:
>
>     "Streaming of an internal pipeline is not possible with a reader."
>
> Which is raised by the AbstractProcessingPipeline when the process
> function is called when a reader is specified.
>
> It prevents to do things like generating a PDF with one pipe and
> accessing it with a reading without going through the HTTP stack. It
> also occured (in earlier versions) when using the StreamGenerator
> inside an internal pipe.
>
> I have disabled the test that throws the error on occasion, just as a
> test but with success. So why is it there and is it valid or might it
> need some more refinement?

IMO this is valid. What is invalid though is calling toSAX() on a cocoon
source defined by a reader.

Sylvain