Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Christophe Bouhier (ECM)" <Ch...@ecm.ericsson.se> on 2002/07/01 04:04:15 UTC

RE: The best website database!

Hi Amran,

I am about to make a choice for our project. (jpass.sourceforge.net).
Someone advice me to have a look at:

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

I haven't worked with it yet, so no valuable comments. but perhaps worth looking at.

Cheers / Christophe

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.
--- Charles Baker <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not saying you're wrong or right, but what do you see
> as the glaring holes in Postgres 7.2? And certainly
> not wanting to start any flame wars.

I started using Postgres about a year ago after many Oracle-based
projects. The biggest things I have missed so far are that there are no
built-in CONNECT BY, ROLLUP, and CUBE functions and the fact that
Postgres seems to slow down significantly if it is not VACUUM'd
frequently. However, these are not 'glaring holes' by any means and
they should not deter you from using Postgres in any way, especially as
an alternative to Access.

By the way, there is a good solution for exporting data from Access to
Postgres available open source from:

http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin/projects/sql/exportSQL3.txt

(Just save as an Access Module and run -it creates the SQL statements
to recreate the whole DB in Postgres)

-August

Re: The best website database!

Posted by Charles Baker <ra...@yahoo.com>.
--- Basil Bourque <ba...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

<<SNIP>>

> I did not catch the earlier part of this thread, but
> let me throw
> in my favorite db:
>
> FrontBase
> http://www.FrontBase.com/
>
> It is native software, but runs on many Unixes, MS
> Windows, and Mac
> OS X, with a most excellent GUI admin tool for Mac
> OS X. It
> includes an excellent free JDBC driver (the best
> I've seen
> actually). FrontBase fully supports Unicode, and
> even uses Unicode
> internally for storing data.
>
> It is a commercial product, but has a free developer
> license, and a
> free deployment license (with some restrictions such
> as no backup
> feature).
>
> FrontBase is a mature, complete SQL database without
> the glaring
> holes in functionality that you'll find in hsqldb,
> Postgres, and
> MySQL. FrontBase stands out in its commitment to
> following
> standards, most especially the SQL92 standard. The
> makers of
> FrontBase go so far as to consider Date's book "A
> Guide To The SQL
> Standard" to be their documentation.
>
> http://www.bookpool.com/.x/isppqxs3im/sm/0201964260

Not saying you're wrong or right, but what do you see
as the glaring holes in Postgres 7.2? And certainly
not wanting to start any flame wars.

<<SNIP>>

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"
See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Re: The best website database!

Posted by Basil Bourque <ba...@speakeasy.net>.
> Just to say thanks alot to all the people for their invaluable
> advice I am
> checking out all the different links. I will be most likely
> switching me
> database soon!!!

I did not catch the earlier part of this thread, but let me throw
in my favorite db:

FrontBase
http://www.FrontBase.com/

It is native software, but runs on many Unixes, MS Windows, and Mac
OS X, with a most excellent GUI admin tool for Mac OS X. It
includes an excellent free JDBC driver (the best I've seen
actually). FrontBase fully supports Unicode, and even uses Unicode
internally for storing data.

It is a commercial product, but has a free developer license, and a
free deployment license (with some restrictions such as no backup
feature).

FrontBase is a mature, complete SQL database without the glaring
holes in functionality that you'll find in hsqldb, Postgres, and
MySQL. FrontBase stands out in its commitment to following
standards, most especially the SQL92 standard. The makers of
FrontBase go so far as to consider Date's book "A Guide To The SQL
Standard" to be their documentation.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/isppqxs3im/sm/0201964260

--Basil Bourque