Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "D. Salvatore" <dd...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/09 17:04:36 UTC

autoscaling

Hi,
I am using Cassandra 3 with a single DC. I would like to know if there is
any tool available for scaling up and down Cassandra automatically.

Thanks

Re: autoscaling

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
I wouldn't say it's not possible.  It's just not very straightforward.  The
needs of each cluster will be different.  For instance, some clusters will
need to scale based on disk usage and ingestion rate, while others will
need to scale based on latency and throughput.  A p90 SLA looks a lot
different than a p99.

Auto scaling down a cluster always sounds odd to me.  Those use cases seem
like they're in response to read heavy workloads that have calmed down.
Usually you'll get better bang for the buck by using a cheap caching layer
that can get orders of magnitude more throughput & be launched in minutes
instead of the hours or days it takes to bring up a new node (depending on
density & failures).

Re: autoscaling

Posted by Matija Gobec <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,